Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have transferred 400 photos to a flash drive. Can I transfer these photos from the flash drive to my friends pc?

I Have put 400 photos on a flash drive. Can I transfer these photos to a friends of?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 6:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 6:59 AM

Yes, digital photo filetypes are consistent between computer platforms. However, your flash drive must be formatted so a PC can read it. By default most flash drives are formatted so that any computer can use them but if you reformatted it for Mac use you may have chosen the HFS+ Journalled format which isn’t PC compatible. I use exFAT or FAT for flash drives I’ll be sharing between Macs, PCs, and Linux computers.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 28, 2015 6:59 AM in response to Hp25515

Yes, digital photo filetypes are consistent between computer platforms. However, your flash drive must be formatted so a PC can read it. By default most flash drives are formatted so that any computer can use them but if you reformatted it for Mac use you may have chosen the HFS+ Journalled format which isn’t PC compatible. I use exFAT or FAT for flash drives I’ll be sharing between Macs, PCs, and Linux computers.

Aug 28, 2015 8:26 AM in response to Lexiepex

Not to draw this out but my point is they are simply formatted, either FAT32 or NTFS, because that's what PCs use.

The sticks are formatted to be readable by Windows and Mac

The sticks are formatted to be readable by Windows.

The fact they can be read by Macs has (almost always) nothing to do with the stick manufacturer. It's that Apple has made the OS to read Windows formatting.

I have transferred 400 photos to a flash drive. Can I transfer these photos from the flash drive to my friends pc?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.