Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Jump starting a mac

My friend asked to use my New macbook pro to help jump start their Mac with a bad hard drive, is this safe for my Macbook? I have only had my Macbook for about 6 months and don't want to have issues with it or worse have it blow up or something..as i know they don't have the funds to replace it if something should happen to it. Ive never heard of this before so looking for info.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 6:32 AM

1 reply

Aug 28, 2015 7:04 AM in response to Missak5

The ‘jump start’ you are referring to is called Disk Target mode. In general terms yes, it is safe but theoretically if his computer were infected with one of the versions of malware we’ve been reading about, his computer could pass it on. In practical terms the risk in minimal but exists. I use Disk Target mode with my own computers somewhat frequently but if a friend or colleague had a problem I’d use an external hard drive that had a clone of my computer’s hard drive.

Jump starting a mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.