Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My cordless KEYbOarD is sWitchinG to Shift moDE without warning. It can temporarily be corrected by switching the keyboard off and on. Keyboard is also discharging batteries rapidly.

My cordless keyboard is switching arbitrarily into shift mode (making numerals inaccessible). It can be corrected temporarily by switching the keyboard off and on. Keyboard batteries are also discharging rather rapidly.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 6:48 AM

3 replies

Aug 28, 2015 7:03 AM in response to peramco

Is this a full sized keyboard or keyboard without keypad?

First, try new batteries, if your using rechargeable replace with regular batteries and ditch the recharge ones.

If full size it sounds like a short or malfunction cause by sticky keys. Do you have another keyboard laying around that you can test with?

What make model is the keyboard?

if w/o keypad check to see if some type of keypad emulation is engaging.

if you "flip" the keyboard on it's belly and bang it agains the desktop (don't smash, just flip it over and let it hit the top of your desk) then clean it with a disinfectant wipe or damp (not wet) cloth then gently spray it with compressed air it might dislodge anything stuck in it.

Aug 28, 2015 1:24 PM in response to peramco

Keyboard/Mouse – Troubleshooting Wireless

Bluetooth devices become unresponsive

Bluetooth Interference Sources

Bluetooth Interference Sources (2)

If your Wi-Fi is capable of generating a 5 GHz signal, try that.

Restart the computer holding down the command - option/alt - P - R keys before the gray screen appears. Continue to hold until you hear the startup chime for the second time.

Reset NVRAM/PRAM

My cordless KEYbOarD is sWitchinG to Shift moDE without warning. It can temporarily be corrected by switching the keyboard off and on. Keyboard is also discharging batteries rapidly.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.