Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple SSD SM0512f Samsung not showing in Disk Utility

I have a MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 512GB Mid-2015. A few days ago I removed boot camp partition using BootCamp Assistant. Then I create new one with a Windows 10 Image. Suddenly everything stopped working. after that the disk not showing in disk utility. I installed internal SSD on another MacBook Pro, same there. Now I installed Mac OSX Y on an external HDD.

I found this: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

When I reset NVRAM, then for a second I can see the disk in the list of Disk Utility. It is there, but if I reopen Disk Utility it doesn't there. And no buttons are enable.

I installed Windows on the external HDD then I can see the SSD in windows without any problem.

I assume this is a software issue.

Can anyone help me?

Sorry for bad English.

Thank you so much.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 6:10 AM

15 replies

Aug 28, 2015 7:55 AM in response to Mike Azh

If you did not delete the Bootcamp partitions with BootcampAssistant, they are still not available space.

Can you start the Recovery Partition still? Start while holding the CMD+R keys. If you can (small chance, but you never know), start Terminal from the menu:

then copy/paste the following command, and Enter:

diskutil list

Can you post the output here?

Aug 28, 2015 7:44 AM in response to Lexiepex

thanks for your quick reply and help

You did the Windows installation with BootcampAssistant? Yes

You removed the Windows installation with BootcampAssitant? Yes

Then installed W10 withBootcampAssistant? Yes

From the external Windows drive can you see the internal drive partitions? Yes

What sizes do they have? Exactly same as what I saw on Mac OSX. But I thought I should reformat it, So I deleted all partitions.

The format of those partitions? I don't remember, but I'm sure it was a Mac OSX Type.

Aug 28, 2015 9:46 AM in response to Lexiepex

I deleted the Bootcamp partitions with BootcampAssistant.

No, if I start with CMD+R it tries to download OSX (Internet Recovery). I created a Bootable USB flash memory then Start with it.

- diskutil list

/dev/disk0

#: Type Name Size Identifier

0: GUID_partition_scheme 1.0 TB disk0

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS Macintash HD 999.3 GB disk0s2

3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3

Oct 18, 2015 2:52 AM in response to Mike Azh

Hello everyone and let me thank you for your time in advance.

I am posting because I face a very weird situation with my MBP. Model is MBP 15" mid-2014 (1TB ssd, nvidia discrete graphics), only factory parts. The machine lately was experiencing kernel panics (launchd died\nState at Last Exception:\n\n"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-2782.40.9/bsd/kern/kern_exit.c:363) which I thought to be associated with Google Chrome since they occured while browsing or watching online flash videos (youtube etc ...).

I purged chrome and the kernel panics stopped although occasionally the MBP would be slow. I decided to upgrade to 10.11 (El Capitan) only to find out that my SSD is not recognized by the El Capitan installer. When I get to the choose a hard drive screen, only my USB (from where I install El Capitan) shows up. The ssd is not detected. I tried the disk utility found on the El Capitan installer but the disk is not detected there also. Then ssd is also not detected in the Disk Utility in the Recovery mode (tried both internet and local). Only the "MAC OS X base system" disk image partition appears when booted in Recovery.

Additionally the system never gets past (spinning wheel of death, hard shutdown) the login screen in safe mode and has a kernel panic (Your computer restarted because of a problem ... and the panic report lists the same message as above) in every second try to log in in safe mode.

The weird part is that the machine boots fine in normal mode (I am writing this message after a normal boot) and disk utility (while booted in Yosemite) detects, verifies and repairs the ssd in normal mode. I do not get the flashing question mark or have any problems with normal login process. I must have rebooted around 30 time today in normal mode. Also the Macintosh HD can be selected as the boot disk with restart and holding "Option".

Tried SMC reset, NVRAM reset, tried to use fsck from single user mode. In the first attempt fsck returns "The volume Macintosh HD appears to be OK." while in the second execution fsck returns fsck: disk1 media not present (disk1 is obviously the ssd).

The entire machine and the ssd appear to be working normally and as expected in 10.10.5 but cannot upgrade and all the above signs are not hopeful. It buffles me that I can boot normally to 10.10, I had faulty disks and whenever the disk was not detected in Recovery mode I was alway getting the flashing questionmark to indicate that the disk is corruted. Is there any chance that I have messed something up in my partition table thats why the ssd is not detected up or am I looking at a faulty ssd that for some reason is still bootable and appears to be functioning??

Any ideas at all .....

Thanks guys

Oct 18, 2015 3:58 AM in response to Mike Azh

My ssd model is the same. I have no idea if there is any problem with these samsung drives. When I get to Disk Utility in Recovery Mode and try to repair/verify the drive I receive a "Alert: some information was unavailable during an internal lookup" message and the SSD then disappears from the list. The weird thing with my system is that I can boot normally in my machine and successfully run verify/repair from disk utility in live mode.

Can you boot with the normal process ?? how about in safe mode ??

Nov 18, 2015 4:15 AM in response to Mike Azh

Hi again after months!!!

I'm still dealing with the issue! Again I've installed both Windows and MacOS on two separate external disk. When I boot from Windows, I can see the interval SSD, but not in MacOS.

One thing new that I have done is, I used this command to clean the internal SSD in Windows:

- diskpart

- list disk

- select disk 0

- clean

- exit

then I initialized the disk in Windows two. So now, I have an initialized disk which doesn't partitioned.

After that if I boot from MacOS I can see the disk. It prompts me to initialize the disk again. If I initialize it and format it as GUID, then it ejects after a few seconds itself, but if I format it as exFat nothing happens, I can copy data to it and it never ejects!!!

Any body can help me with this?

Thank you so much,

Apple SSD SM0512f Samsung not showing in Disk Utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.