Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My range extender replaces main router signal & blocks receiving Mail

I have just fitted a TP-Link range extender (AC750) to boost the signal from my TP-Link router - model TL-WR1043ND

This has helped improve the signal to my MacBook, but the Extender takes over as the main wireless signal on my iPhone5S.

In so doing it prevents me receiving emails from Mail/Outlook, as well as losing the signal for my Sonos controller app (only on iPhone) !!!

I've tried powering down my iPhone- no help, switching off power to the Range extender to allow the main router to take over.....only for the extender signal to take over again when it is powered up .

Any suggestions gratefully received !! THANK YOU

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 7:12 AM

2 replies

Aug 28, 2015 8:25 AM in response to jgcon

Most devices prefer to hop channels rather than wifi networks. If the extender is broadcasting on the same channel as your router, then it's going to be a mess and might be the underlying issue you're seeing currently.

Are you running dual-band wifi? 5ghz has more channels and less interference.

The best setup is to have both router and extender broadcasting the same SSID but with different channels.

The apps Netspot (Mac) InSSIDer (PC) will let you look at the airwaves in your area to see which channels are best.

For example

2.4ghz:

Con-Wifi - Channel 1 (router)

Con-Wifi - Channel 6 (extender)

5ghz:

Con-Wifi - Channel 36

Con-Wifi - Channel 44

(or 40 and 48)

If there are lots of wifi networks in your area, try the other 5ghz bands for less interference.

149 and 157

153 and 161

Aug 28, 2015 10:30 AM in response to jgcon

JGCON, for whatever it is worth here is my experience with these type of devices. I am not disputing what chattphotos said above, no doubt that is what he has encountered. My experience however is a little different. I live in a fairly large L shaped house. I do not get much interference from neighbors since I have some land around me. While I can see some of their signals, they are weak and usually not an issue. I mostly have to be concerned with own devices, cordless phones, security cameras, etc which are all broadcasting on the 2.4 band. I have a Cisco dual band router in my office which is towards one end of the house and I have a second access point in the master bedroom to serve that end of the house. The router is quite powerful and reaches both floors and even the garage at 2 to 3 bars (mostly 3). In the bedroom I was getting 1 bar (sometimes dropped) and in the bathroom further down I usually got dropped on all my iOS devices. I then purchased a Cisco Wireless Power Line Adapter to serve as a secondary AP (TP-Link sells the same) and I can now serve that end of the house at 2 to 3 bars. For far so good....

Initially I set my Router and AP to different SSIDs and channels thinking first, that I could tell which of the two radios I was connected to by looking at the SSID on the IOS device, and secondly, that in that fashion I would have less interference or conflicts between the two. With that configuration, if my iPhone was locked to the router at 3 bars, as I walked to the far end the signal would degrade and I would only connect to the AP once I was dropped from the main router. There would be periods of weak signal and momentary lags while switching networks. However, after I configured both the Router and AP to the same SSID and channel I now get a seamless transition, i.e., if my phone is locked with the router at 3 bars and I walk towards the far end, as the router signal degrades to 2- and the AP is now at 2+ or 3 the phone will make an absolutely seamless transition between the two, no signal ever lower than 2 or any drops or lags. I cannot tell with of the two radios I am connected to but it is irrelevant (actually I can - by now I know that when on the bedroom wing I am always on the AP).

As to why your extender does not allow you to receive emails while connected to it (it should of course), I would try Forgetting both Networks or better yet, Reset Network Settings and reconnecting to both to see if that makes a difference. The other alternative is to delete you Outlook account, re-start your phone, and then add it back. The fact that you can get your emails while on the router makes this reset less likely to work. What happens when you walk to within 6 feet of the router? Does the phone stay locked to the Extender? Also knowing about your configuration (SSID, channel, band, etc.) would help.

If interested here are links to the Cisco Wireless Adapter I am using and the TP-Link equivalent unit. I know you already bought an extender but the TP-Link PL Adapter (~$50) would be another option. See TP-Link's description of the differences below. TP advises better performance with a PL Adapter than with an extender (but possibly some issues with circuit breakers, see the first review on the Cisco).

http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Powerline-Wireless-Extender-PLWK400/dp/B0087O6AQE/ ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1440777577&sr=8-4&keywords=wireless+powerline+adapter

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WPA4220KIT-ADVANCED-Powerline-Extender/dp/B00HS QAIQU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440778556&sr=8-1&keywords=tp-link+wireless+powerli ne

My range extender replaces main router signal & blocks receiving Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.