Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Will Not Remove Songs When Syncing

I hope someone can help with this, as searching hasn't brought up any similar situations.

My iPhone 5s has been telling me that I'm almost out of storage. So, I decided I would clean it up a bit, remove some apps I never use, and some music that no longer suits my musical tastes right now. I also wanted to make a new playlist for my Apple Watch.

Here is how things went:

-Connected my phone to my Mac via USB and opened iTunes. Clicked on the little phone icon below the music controls.

-Selected 'Sync only checked songs and videos' on the summary page.

-Removed some apps (this went fine, the apps are no longer on my phone after synching)

-Went to music and de-selected all of the playlists, artists, and albums that I no longer want on my phone.

-Selected the music I do want.

-Clicked 'apply'.

No errors during synching, so I opened the music app on my phone to check that things were fine there and nope. Music that I wanted to be removed is still there, and music I wanted to add is not there.

I selected "Music" under "On My Device" and the list is very short and contains none of the music that is actually on the device.

I also went to my library, de-selected all, and selected only the artists I wanted to keep to see if this would change anything but it did not.

As a test, I de-selected Sync Music, which caused the storage bar to reflect the change. Then I clicked Sync, and the phone synched again, kept all the music I don't want it to keep, none of the music I do want it to keep, and the storage bar went back to the way it was reading before I de-selected music.

All of the music that is on there is music I have either purchased on my phone through iTunes on my phone, or redeemed as a Starbucks song of the week. I do not subscribe to iTunes Match. I do not use iCloud to backup my music.

I tried to select music again and sync the songs that I want and forget about removing what I don't want, and it doesn't even do that. Even the one single playlist that I made isn't syncing, but the phone has a playlist on it that has been deleted from my iTunes library.

I don't know what to do. ;_;

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm open...

iPhone is a 5s running iOS v8.4.1.

Using iTunes on a Macbook running Mac OS 10.10.5

iTunes is version 12.2.2.25

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 8:29 AM

There are no replies.

iTunes Will Not Remove Songs When Syncing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.