Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Some of my photos turn black when I place them in my Book project. HELP!

I'm creating a photo book for my parents and have no trouble whatsoever with photos from my iPhone. Any pics I've imported from someone else turn black or disappear when I place them in the book. What is happening?!?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 8:06 AM

6 replies

Aug 28, 2015 9:31 AM in response to mojobo76

With the amount of information you've provided it's impossible to offer a solution. We can't see your computer so we need to know the details of your problem and setup, i.e.:

• what system are you running?
  • what version of iPhoto are you running?
  • what fixes have you tried?
  • where is your library located?
  • did you apply any updates or upgrades just prior to the problem occurring?
  • are you running a "managed" or "referenced" library?

User uploaded file

• what type of Mac?
  • how much free space on your boot drive?
  • are you able to view the problem images full sized or edit them in iPhoto?

User uploaded file

Aug 30, 2015 10:44 AM in response to Old Toad

It's iPhoto 9.5.1

I'm running OS X on a MacBook Pro

I've tried no fixes on my own

I can see the photos on the right side of the screen in my Library, but as soon as I drag and drop them to the page they disappear

From your example above, I'm running a referenced library

I've done no updates recently

Thank you for any and all help!!!

Aug 30, 2015 11:01 AM in response to mojobo76

I'm running a referenced library

Are you able to edit in iPhoto any of the referenced photos? Also what happens when you try to view them full size in the library?

I'm in 100% agreement with Larry on referenced libraries. They only cause problems and are extremely sensitive to the availability of the source photos. If the source image files are not available at the time the library is opened the link to them can be broken. It's just not worth the risk of losing all of my organizational efforts to run a referenced library.

If you use the free version of iPhoto Library Manager you can consolidate the library into a new, managed library by rebuilding the library with iPLM.

Some of my photos turn black when I place them in my Book project. HELP!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.