Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update my phone

HI, I have an iPhone 5s and I want to update it but it keeps saying usage settings, I have taken off as much as possible but it still won't let me update. i have tried to do it through my laptop but that did not work. The guy at the shop said it might be coz it is a windows. What can I do?

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 8:58 AM

1 reply

Aug 29, 2015 9:15 AM in response to Kate Dickson

Hello there, Kate.

It sounds like you're not able to perform an OTA (over the air) update nor via iTunes, on your iPhone 5s. The following Knowledge Base article offers up some thorough and practical steps for troubleshooting this issue:

Resolve issues with an over-the-air iOS update - Apple Support

Not enough space to update

If your device doesn't have enough space to download and install the update, you can use iTunes to update your device.

User uploaded file

If you can't connect to iTunes, you can make room for the update by removing content on your device that you don't use. To remove content, tap Usage Settings in the Software Update screen. Learn how to see the space used by your apps and their content.

Download takes a long time, or you can't reach update server

iOS updates require a persistent Internet connection, and the time it takes to download the update will vary according to the size of the update and your Internet speed. You can use your device normally while downloading the iOS update, and iOS will notify you when you can install the update. To improve the speed of the download, avoid downloading other content.

User uploaded file

If you get a message that "an error occurred downloading iOS," try again later. If the issue persists, try updating your device in another network or use iTunes to update your device. Learn more about iOS updates.

Update does not complete

If you're installing the update and the progress bar appears to move slowly, be patient. The time an update takes depends on the size of the update and the number of files on the device.

When you're updating over the air, keep your device connected to a power source so that it doesn't run out of power. If your device does run out of power, connect it to a power source and turn on the device to let the update or restore complete.

If the update never completes and the progress bar hasn't moved for an extended time, try restarting your device. If you still see the issue after you restart, see what to do if your device appears frozen or won't start.

Additionally, this article speaks to updates via iTunes as well:

Update the iOS software on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

If you find the issue persists after reviewing the above recommendations, then you may want to try recovery mode using the guidance found here:

If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Use recovery mode

You might need to use recovery mode to restore your device in these cases:

• iTunes doesn't recognize your device or says it's in recovery mode.
  • You see the Apple logo onscreen for several minutes with no progress bar.
  • You see the Connect to iTunes screen.

Learn what to do if you see the progress bar onscreen for several minutes.

To put your device into recovery mode, follow these steps:

1. Turn off your device and leave it off.
  2. Plug in your device's USB cable to a computer with iTunes.
  3. Hold down the Home button on your device as you connect the USB cable. Keep holding down the Home button until you see the Connect to iTunes screen.
    User uploaded file
  4. When you see this screen, release the Home button. If you don't see this screen, try steps 1 through 3 again.

When your device is connected, iTunes will open. You'll see a message saying that iTunes has detected an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch in recovery mode.

User uploaded file

Use iTunes to restore your device. Restoring in recovery mode will erase your device. If you previously synced with iTunes or iCloud, you might be able to restore from your backup.

Thanks for being a part of Apple Support Communities.

Kind Regards.

Update my phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.