Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Biography/similar artists in ITunes collection

I am buying my music in the iTunes store and when I am visiting the store I don't mind reading about the artist or their albums. I also appreciate the recommendations of other music people bought who bought the music I am interested in. It has led me to discover new artists and made numerous visits to the store fun for me.

However, I am not using Apple Music. I don't like streaming music. I like buying it/owning a right to my personal copy.

When I am in my library consisting of music I purchased I would VERY MUCH APPRECIATE not seeing biographies or similar artist recommendations that Apple integrated into the "Artists" section of the latest iTunes. It is like Apple put the advertisements straight out of the store into my music library. For music lovers like me who purchased music, it is irritating to find advertisements within my personal library. It is upsetting and disgusting and disrupting my user experience when going through my music collection. I am avoiding the "Artists" section as much as I can now that this particular feature has found its way into ITunes and hope that feature won't be expanded into the "Albums" section. It is upsetting to true music lovers who treasure their music collection.

Dear Apple, would it be possible to keep advertising music to the ITunes Store and leave our music collection overview alone? Offering an option to disable that particular feature would be much appreciated. And I am sure I am not alone with that request!

If anybody knows a solution to get rid of that crap, I am very interested to learn how to deactivate this!

iTunes-OTHER, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 9:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2015 10:23 AM

This takes a bit longer than clicking a button, but it can be rectified. To fix the issue, select a song (or songs) that you have purchased from iTunes. Left-click with your mouse to find this option, or go to File > Create New Version > Create ACC Version. This will make a duplicate of your file and it will keep all of your metadata intact with one exception. The "kind" field will change from "Purchased AAC audio file" to "AAC audio file."

iTunes will no longer recognize this song as a purchase, and, once all of the purchased songs are eliminated from each artist's catalog within your library, the column in question will vanish.

A restart may be necessary.

I only had 460 purchased songs to deal with, so this did not take too long for me. I created a smart playlist that found all purchased music, and, afterward, I went to the main music library, added a "kind" column, sorted by that, and deleted all of the pruchased files.

I hope this helps.

N.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2015 10:23 AM in response to Danahfaren

This takes a bit longer than clicking a button, but it can be rectified. To fix the issue, select a song (or songs) that you have purchased from iTunes. Left-click with your mouse to find this option, or go to File > Create New Version > Create ACC Version. This will make a duplicate of your file and it will keep all of your metadata intact with one exception. The "kind" field will change from "Purchased AAC audio file" to "AAC audio file."

iTunes will no longer recognize this song as a purchase, and, once all of the purchased songs are eliminated from each artist's catalog within your library, the column in question will vanish.

A restart may be necessary.

I only had 460 purchased songs to deal with, so this did not take too long for me. I created a smart playlist that found all purchased music, and, afterward, I went to the main music library, added a "kind" column, sorted by that, and deleted all of the pruchased files.

I hope this helps.

N.

Biography/similar artists in ITunes collection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.