Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Icloud ID was broken

I had an iPhone 5S which phone got stolen from me a few weeks ago! Since this incident I have purchased a new iPhone which I am currently using.

BACKGROUND INFORMATION:

Following the robbery I reported the case both to the Police and to my Insurance company to trigger an official procedure.

I did not expect any meaningful development until 2 days ago when I received an SMS to my new phone with the signature of Apple Inc.

Sms screenshot is here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/btve85gr8dpmqxf/img_2198.png?dl=0

Apparently, the actual robber who stole the iPhone also tried to trick my Apple ID and Password from me. He is the only one being aware of the fact that my phone was stolen, he could figure out my phone number and as far as I am concerned he needs these pieces of information in order to turn on the stolen iPhone without being noticed. I suppose he wanted to get my Apple ID and password through a link which he sent me in the SMS while claiming that he was contacting me on behalf of Apple Inc. which obviously turns out to be a fraud and a lie!

I immediately informed the Police about this wrongful attempt and requested them to investigate the following matters:

- Who sent me this SMS?

- The Police answered me that the SMS was sent from an online SMS service provider in Belgian and not in Hungary, where I live. The police now tries to figure out the IP address of the computer which the robber used for sending me the message! But as I see they are not on the top, because they don’t have got practice in such special case, which they had never met.

I also got in contact with Apple Hungary who cast further light on this ongoing situation! Apple Hungary confirmed that Apple did not send me this particular SMS. Moreover, they recommended for me to get in touch with you for further details. I got your email from them.

MY QUESTIONS TO AND REQUEST FROM APPLE:

(1)

Somebody unknown to me (probably the robber) erased my stolen iPhone from the list of devices in my iCloud/FindMyIphone profile! I would kindly ask you to tell me the IP addresses of the computers that logged in to my iCloud profile and accessed the FindMyiPhone functionality over the course of the last month! I use only one computer, so there should have been only the same IP every time. It could help the Police to identify the robber who most probably had got hold of my login details to my Apple profile and erased the stolen iPhone from the list with the clear motivation to keep himself invisible when he eventually turns the iPhone on! Don’t hesitate to tell me if you need an official police request to answer this question.

(2)

Furthermore, if I happened to open the link included in the SMS received from the robber (attached) then is it possible that my iPhone got infected by a virus/trojan/spyware or any hidden application capable of logging my character inputs and typing? If yes, then how do I identify and delete such a malware from my phone? How could I restore the original state of my phone.

(3)

By using the phone I have got a very strange feeling that my phone has become unstable at certain times. It sometimes accepts passwords to services but on certain occasions the device refuses to accept the very same passwords to the very same service.( for example access to icloud)

To be admitted that there is one of my earlier used and expired VISA card was attached to my Apple profile in in cloud payment- of which I have no recollection of attaching to my profile - which is also an odd phenomenon. Nonetheless, could you please let me know when this underlying VISA card (ending with 2101) was attached to my Apple profile?

All in all, there are certain things about the phone that have started to feel odd and out of ordinary and it makes me very worried about the safety use of the phone itself.

(4) What else would you advise me to do to track the robber down and to get my stolen iPhone back?

I thank you for your help in advance and may you have any further questions, remarks or comments on this particular matter then do not hesitate a moment to get in contact with me via eMail. I am a Hungarian citizen, living in Budapest.

Thank you very much!

Best regards,

Ferenc SZANTO MD.

drszantoferenc@gmail.com

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.4

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 7:03 AM

3 replies

My Icloud ID was broken

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.