Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I assign my phone number to imessages

I Hav already gone to Settings>>Messages>>Send&Receive>>. At this point there is no option to choose my phone number. Only an email. My phone has my phone number and this same iPad use to have my phone number, but I had signed out of it when I had gone out of the country and now I can't get it back on.

IVe vey tried signing out and starting again. No change.

iPad, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 8:48 AM

1 reply

Aug 29, 2015 10:12 AM in response to vk0424

Hey vk0424,

Thank you for visiting Apple Support Communities.

It seems like your Apple ID (iMessage account) doesn't include your phone number on your iPad.

You mentioned that you've signed out and back in to Messages on your iPad, but there was no change.

If you're on a first generation iPad, this feature isn't available, as mentioned in iOS and OS X: Link your phone number and Apple ID for use with FaceTime and iMessage.

This feature isn't available on iPod touch (3rd generation) and iPad (1st generation).

For a newer iPad, try signing out of both Messages and FaceTime. If your phone number still isn't linked to the device, sign out of Messages and FaceTime on all of your iOS devices. Then sign back in on your iPhone and iPad.

Here are the detailed steps you can follow:

Phone number missing on iPad or iPod touch

If your phone number isn't listed on an iPod touch or iPad, follow these steps:

1. Update to the latest version of iOS.
  2. Verify that you're using the same Apple ID that you're using on your iPhone.
  3. On your iPad or iPod touch, sign out of your Apple ID in the following locations:
    • Settings > Messages > Send & Receive. Tap your Apple ID, then tap Sign Out.
    • Settings > FaceTime. Tap your Apple ID, then tap Sign Out.
  4. Sign in to your Apple ID with FaceTime and iMessage.

If your phone number still isn't listed, follow these steps:

1. Sign out of your Apple ID on all iOS devices, including your iPhone, in the following locations:
    • Settings > Messages > Send & Receive. Tap your Apple ID, then tap Sign Out.
    • Settings > FaceTime. Tap your Apple ID, then tap Sign Out.
  2. Sign in to your Apple ID on your iPhone.
  3. When activation is complete, your Apple ID and all verified email addresses should be visible in Settings > Messages > Receive At and Settings > FaceTime.
  4. Sign in to your Apple ID on your other iOS devices.

All the best.

How can I assign my phone number to imessages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.