Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Microsoft Office Online

Question: Can Office 365/OneDrive/Office Online carry any viruses from my PC to MAC?

Detailed description: I just got a new Windows PC from my school/university, which comes pre-installed with Office 365 ProPlus. I have to use the PC at school to stay up to date/notifications etc. I would however appreciate to use my MacBook Pro at home. To do so, I would like to use Office Online/OneDrive, since it's a service that can sync my files without any trouble.

My main concern about this is that my PC could carry malware/spyware etc over to my mac. If syncing documents using Office Online/OneDrive could potentially harm my Mac I will not even consider it an option.

Does anyone of you have experiences or the knowledge to know if Office 365 can carry viruses, please leave a reply!🙂

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 8:44 AM

2 replies

Aug 28, 2015 1:53 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

Thank you very much for your reply!

I have to agree on everything you say, but there is one possible security risk which makes me feel insecure. The building I work in is made of concrete, preventing nearly all 4G/3G/E traffic passing through. This means that I'm forced to use the school/university WiFi, which every student uses. I just think that there has to be a guy who knows how to spread malware through this network. I'm not saying this is happening, but there might be a minor possibility of someone doing this.

And then I'm wondering, can Word/PP/Excel even spread malware at all??

You might say that I'm overly cautious, but getting malware on my Mac is the last thing I would ever want to get, especially since it's very difficult to remove.

Microsoft Office Online

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.