Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I delete photo albums on my iPad when I do not have the originals?

I have photo albums on my iPad from years ago when the iPad was synced with an old computer. How do I now delete some (not all) of these albums when I do not have the originals on a computer?

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 9:50 AM

4 replies

Aug 28, 2015 10:14 AM in response to daisydazzle

There isn't a straightforward way to delete just some of them if you no longer have the originals. The concept behind syncing was that the originals were to remain on the computer. The only method that I am aware of would involve first recovering a copy of the photos that are on the phone. The only way to do that is to use 3rd party software. One that I am aware of that will recover photos synced via iTunes is https://www.wideanglesoftware.com/touchcopy/ but there may be others that are cheaper.

Once you have recovered the photos, you can then delete all synced photos from the phone using the instructions in Delete photos and video synced from iTunes when you can’t access the originals - Apple Support

You could then sync back to the phone those photos that you want to have on it, using the instructions in Sync photos from your computer to your iOS device using iTunes - Apple Support

Aug 28, 2015 10:35 AM in response to FoxFifth

Or, if its not too many photos that need to be saved, from the Photos app you can selectively re-save them to the iPad (which will put them into Camera Roll, or iCloud Photo Library if enabled). From there they can be recovered any number of ways.

Once saved to a safe location, change the iPad sync settings in iTunes to not sync any photos at all and apply that change. That will wipe out all synced photos, but not Camera Roll or anything in iCloud.

Aug 28, 2015 10:50 AM in response to rockmyplimsoul

I don't know of a way to selectively save a synced photo to the Camera Roll -- and I can't test it currently as I am using iCloud Photo Library. If there is a way to do that, you may want to provide further details for the OP.

Also, your "not too many" comment did remind me of another option for getting the synced photos from the iPad to the computer -- the OP could email the synced photos to him or herself.

Aug 28, 2015 10:49 AM in response to FoxFifth

Easy, but I can't recall if it was the same in prior iOS releases. In iOS 8 in the Photo app when viewing any set of photos there is a "Select" button at the top right corner. Tap that and selectively tap photos from the set. Once you have the desired photos selected, tap the "Send To" icon in the lower left corner and select "Save Images" (or email, iMessage, Photo Stream, etc.)

how do I delete photo albums on my iPad when I do not have the originals?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.