Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro shows "2 Serial Numbers".

Hi everyone,

I'm using MacBook Pro-14 inch. (late 2011) with Yosemite 10.10.5 version. My laptop warranty is expired in March 2013. Yesterday, I came to know that my laptop containing "2 Serial Numbers". Purchase bill serial no. is matching with the serial no. which is mentioned on the back-side of the laptop but in the system ("About This Mac"), another serial number is showing and it is for IMac (20 inch - 2006). How its possible? I don't have any idea.

I purchased this laptop from authorised seller in Mumbai and I never gave to unauthorised service centre or any individual for repairing. Only 1-time, I gave my laptop for repairing to the authorised service centre in Mumbai, India. This was happened in Oct. 2012. Recently, when I was facing wifi connectivity issue, I went to service centre for repairing but they informed me that they won't accept my laptop due to 2 serial numbers.

To fix this issue, I reformatted my laptop but the result was same.

Please let me know what I will do to solve double serial no. issues.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10), null

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 10:56 AM

3 replies

Aug 28, 2015 11:49 AM in response to Azam.Ahmed

There should be only ONE serial No: inside the same number as on the back.

I do not know where the "internal" serial number is written, but it looks as if an iMac part has been substituted for the original macbookpro part. What worries me - besides the administrative part - is that the iMac part is MUCH older than the original part, which sheds doubt about having the same specs. You mention 3 sellers/service centers: a. where you bought it, b. where you had it repaired in 2012, c. where it was refused because of the 2 serial numbers: were they all the same?

A problem is in India that there are no Apple owned centers (forbidden by law), and I do not know what "apple-authorized" really is worth in India, it may be just a term they call themselves. Thanks to Seventy One who sorted this out in another thread.

MacBook Pro shows "2 Serial Numbers".

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.