Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

5c is stuck! Can't restore or update ! Help !

My iPhone 5c is non-responsive and I"m looking for help. It started that it would take a full charge, but then would just shut down on it's own....and wouldn't turn back on ! Reboots didn't work either. So in the meantime, while I am trying to figure this out (it's my moms phone) I deactivated the phone and gave her another old phone of mine to use.

Today I came to the forums here and found someone linked to an Apple article....I followed the instructions. Plugged the phone into the computer/itunes. Held the home and power button on until the recovery screen appeared. I chose the update....and several times it gave me an error code. I linked back to the Apple article and followed the troubleshooting. Updated OS X, iTunes, restarted, unplugged my external drive, etc....I don't have any security programs (it mentioned that). I am using a basic (no add-ons) macbook air to do this. In the end I gave up and unplugged the iPhone. I figured I could do a complete restore without having it connected to the computer.

Now the phone is stuck, but this time I can't even reboot it. It is stuck on that recovery screen...with the pictures of the wire/itunes. I can't get past it. I can't power it on or off. I can't plug it back into iTunes because I just keep getting the same error messages when I try to update or restore.

Anyone have any ideas ???

thanks for reading all of this and for your help !

Christine

MacBook Air

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 8:38 AM

12 replies

Aug 28, 2015 9:30 AM in response to chrstene96

hi error 9 i have had alot of the time with iphone 5c at first i tried everything you have done before i decided ro check the dock connector itsself i have had 6 of the iphone 5c with the same error and problems that you are having and replacing the dock connector solved the problem on 4 of them the other 2 were found to have a u2 ic chip problem

Aug 28, 2015 11:24 AM in response to dennp

Yes it did do that when I was trying to reboot it to begin with. It would work. go "dead". and when i tried to power on it wouldn't work...so I would hold home/power and the apple would come up , but get nowhere. That's when I came to the apple site and connected it to iTunes, etc. as stated above.

Does that give you another idea ?

Aug 28, 2015 11:35 AM in response to dennp

As a matter of fact, even now that the screen is stuck with that recovery screen (the picture of the lightning connector and the iTunes logo)...IF i hold home/power together I can get the apple logo to appear briefly and then it just goes back to that recovery screen. So odd. Makes me think some software issue? if I could just get past that screen I could at least try to safely restore it now. I wouldn't mind back to factory settings because mom is backed up, actually like I said, she is using an old phone of mine and this one is useless right now (but she prefers it and wants it back of course)! LOL

5c is stuck! Can't restore or update ! Help !

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.