Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I would like to use my time capsule to backup data only - not as a router. Can someone provide the steps for me to do this?

I have an old iMac (2009) and a time capsule, but I only want to use the time capsule to backup data, not as a router. My cable company has told me that I can only use their router, so I cannot use the router function of the time capsule. Can someone please guide me through the steps to set up the time capsule using it only for backup? I'm also not very computer savvy, so please try and be very straightforward in your response. Thanks very much.

Airport Time Capsule 802.11ac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 9:00 AM

11 replies

Aug 28, 2015 9:38 AM in response to pmefrench

My cable company has told me that I can only use their router, so I cannot use the router function of the time capsule.

This is simply not true, and unfortunately, is typical of the mis-information that some Internet Service Providers relay to their customers.

Even if you are using the cable company's router, you can set up the Time Capsule to back up your Mac and also provide a second wireless network that you might use for guests, the kids, or other purposes.

The Time Capsule wireless will run circles around the wireless performance of most routers provided by most Internet Service Providers, so if you find that to be the case, you can use the wireless of the cable company router for a guest network, a kids network, or other purposes. You also have the option of turning off the wireless on the cable company router if you want.

If for some reason you decide to use the cable company router for your wireless network, and you don't want a guest network or second wireless network, then the wireless function of the Time Capsule can be turned off with just a few clicks.....and the device will perform as a simple hard drive, backing up your Macs over the cable company wireless network.

Since it is clear that your ISP will not help you as far as integrating the Time Capsule, you might now decide what it is that you want to do, given the options that we have mentioned.

If you want more help, we'll need the make and model number of your cable company router to be able to provide the detailed steps to set up the Time Capsule.....no matter whether you you decide to use the Time Capsule wireless capability or not.

Aug 30, 2015 7:03 AM in response to pmefrench

Thanks for the clarification.

We are going to try to avoid a situation where you have to reset the Time Capsule back to factory default settings and then have to set it up all over again from scratch......but you should be aware that this action is usually needed when you change Internet Service Providers or the modem/router on the network......so that possibility is very real if the shortcuts we try are not successful.

If you are OK with that, we can proceed and you can try the steps listed below. If you are not OK with that, then it would be best to get an IT professional out to your home to set things up for you. He may still likely have to reset the Time Capsule back to factory default settings, though.

I assume that the Time Capsule (TC) is powered off at the present time.

Connect an Ethernet cable...that you have tested to make sure that it is working correctly....from one of the four LAN <--> Ethernet ports on the Arris modem/router to the WAN "O" port on the TC. The cable will need to remain connected at all times.

Power up the TC and let it run a few minutes. You may see a blinking amber light on the TC at this time.

On your Mac......open Finder > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility

Click on the picture of the TC

Click Edit in the smaller window that appears and another window will open with tabs at the top for Base Station, Internet, Wireless, Network and Disks

Are you able to do this?

Aug 31, 2015 4:33 PM in response to Bob Timmons

I, too, *think* I might need to disconnect the wireless capability of my TC, and instead use the wireless feature of my internet provider. 2 of our mobile devices have intermittent disconnections throughout the day and I'm thinking it is the age of our TC (bought in 2011 with our 2011 iMac). I am *somewhat* computer literate and learned from the above discussions that "Time Capsule wireless will run circles around the wireless performance of most routers provided by most Internet Service Providers". If that's the case, would you recommend that I switch my wireless to my ISP even with the age of my TC? As for resetting the TC, will I lose the data that is already on there?

Sep 2, 2015 6:11 PM in response to pmefrench

I am having trouble trying to connect my time capsule to my iMac for back up.Although I have used a time capsule for about 5 years I recently moved to a new city and now have a different service provider.My previous setup was a network cable between my TC and my cable modem. My iMac and MacBook worked wirelessly perfectly.Now I am renting a suite which comes with free internet provided. My computers run on the home's network but I don't have physical access to the modem. I am told that my TC can be connected directly to my iMac and backups would be no problem vis Time Machine. Can somebody tell me how to do this as I have tried umpteen combinations. My iMac is early 2008 with memory and storage upgrades (MB323LL/A). My TC is part #MD032AM/A and model #A1409. As much as I love the TC as a router I would be ok with my TC doing only backup unless there's a way around.

Sep 2, 2015 10:23 PM in response to 914notavw

The method is here.

Using Time Capsule hardwired to Mac for back-up only.

If you run into trouble tell me exactly what IP you get from the existing home network.. as that will give me the info I need to give more explicit instructions for your case.

OS on the mac also can help.

You should know for iMac a USB disk plugged in directly is much the fastest, easiest and most reliable method.

Sep 4, 2015 12:42 PM in response to Bob Timmons

While changing the name of the Base Station (Time Capsule) and password in Airport Utility under the BASE STATION TAB, I can change the name but then the old name shows up under wireless networks, along with the new name. Am I supposed to delete the old one somehow? Also, when I changed the name and password, and then go to the WIRELESS TAB, I find that the password there has changed to the Base Station password I just changed, but the Wireless name remains the same. In other words, names are different but passwords are the same. I don't understand why the Wireless password changes, but not the name, when I change the Base Station name and password. ATT issued old router in garage, connected to Time Capsule inside home. Network Tab says Off: Bridge Mode. Time Capsule added 2-3 years ago by geek squad guy, so I don't understand it exactly. I am trying to change my wifi password, after a relative gave it out to neighbors. I need to secure it all. I have all file sharing turned off. I have read everything and need understanding so I can regularly change the password without screwing up my backups on Time Capsule. Thanks for any assistance~

Sep 6, 2015 3:01 PM in response to pmefrench

pmefrench wrote:

Could you provide me with the way you suggested - to use a USB disk plugged in directly to the iMac?

Thanks.

This is simple as..

Buy a USB3 hard disk.. almost any brand will work.. I use HGST Touro because I trust the disk in them.. and they are cheap. They are not the best.. but I have never had one fail.. the typical Mac ones are LaCie which are a bit more expensive.. or buy online from OWC.. they sell their own lines of very good stuff.. and handle mostly Mac so they are knowledgable about the best.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/1394/USB/EliteAL/eSATA_FW800_FW400_USB?S ource=Blast15Sept3W

If you imac is 2012 or later.. then it has USB 3 and it is cheap and fast.

If you have earlier model.. the USB 2 port is slower than FW800.. so buy the FW plus USB combo version.. you can use either.. now on FW800 and later on with USB 3.

Simply plug in the drive.. if you buy Mac disk it will be correctly formatted.. otherwise format it via disk utility Mac OS extended journaled.. (HFS+)

This is required.. let me suggest you actually partition it.. Use main partition for Carbon Copy Cloner to do a bootable clone of your Mac.. this is a great way to get back to working unit if the Mac fails.. and TM to the second partition.. entirely up to you.

Go to TM preferences and select the disk for TM backups and direct it to the partition you want to use.

That removes backups from the network.. and even USB2 is faster than gigabit over network.

TM also behaves better on local drives.

I would like to use my time capsule to backup data only - not as a router. Can someone provide the steps for me to do this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.