Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12.2.2 is freezing and crashing Mac Pro 2013

Mac Pro (Late 2013) freezing and rebooting when opening iTunes 12.2.2. I've already taken my Mac to the Apple store to have it unsuccessfully repaired. They did a clean install of the operating system and a hardware diagnostics test which passed.

I am extremely frustrated that they cannot fix this problem!! Our company spent 6K on a Mac Pro that doesn't work. This is NOT acceptable Apple.

If anyone has a fix please help!

Thank you.

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), Freezing, hard restart, cursor loss

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 11:08 AM

25 replies

Sep 16, 2017 7:05 AM in response to franklinfromspringfield

This just started happening to me when I updated to iTunes 12.7 this morning (Sept 16 2017). Mac Pro 2013 64 Gb dual AMD 700's. I want to put a string of profanity in here about my anger at Apple but I know this will prevent my post from showing up. At least the system works without using iTunes. If I launch iTunes after a few minutes the mouse freezes and then the whole system reboots but it does not flag as a problem reboot - it just comes back up normally. VERY VERY VERY FRUSTRATING and just NOT ACCEPTABLE APPLE.

Dec 3, 2015 9:04 AM in response to SuperSoul9

WOw can't believe it. Finally found others with the same issue. Spent 8500$ on a Mac pro.

THis is started after 2 month or so. Now it happens all day. I completely just formatted the hard drive and installed el capitan fresh. Open iTunes ...boom. Crash.

THis his is not acceptable and deserves an answer from support here!

please don't ignore this

m.

Dec 4, 2015 4:18 AM in response to DonH49

Does it on a fresh install, so it's not a conflict with other apps.

I've done multiple fresh installs, ran all updates and launched iTunes while nothing else is running. Boom, crashed the crashes and restarts the Mac every time.

I wonder if it's the configuration of the MacPro. Here's my Config:

• 3.5GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5
  • 32GB 1866MHz DDR3 ECC - 4X8GB
  • 1TB PCIe-based Flash Storage
  • Dual AMD FirePro D500-3GB VRAM

Dec 4, 2015 4:42 AM in response to SuperSoul9

i was just on the phone with a senior support tech member of apple for the last 2 hours and we tried all things together from partition to formating to fresh install.

even got a not yet release version of el capitan to install just to see. but no solution.

my specs are 8 core 64GB 1 TB, Fire 700.

I wait for a call back after eleminating all software issues to look into possible hardware issues.

Keep you posted guys.

P.S. my personal suspision is it is realted to graphics rather than sound.

I used to run Protools and cubase and logic pro on my machine with 0 problems.

Trying After effects or Premiere or Davinc resolve pro always rendered my computer in sort of semi-crash still operating while i cant close or open anything anymore until I do a hard restart. that makes me wonder.

M.

Dec 4, 2015 2:06 PM in response to SuperSoul9

so another 3 hours spend to fix this error. i was told to lunch the computer with Alt CMD R into direct internet recovery mode and do a clean formating and installation from the web of the OS that my mac came with originally, in my case Yosemite.

I was told this should fix 99.9% the error as the suspicion was raised that there might be faulty data in the boot img device "size 1.6 GB" which one can see in the disk utilities setup. be aware that this works only with a cable keyboard and not bluetooth, since ALT CMD R needs to be pressed at start while bluetooh isnt ready yet.

I ended up buying a new keyboard just for this.

unfortunatly it didnt help anything and i tried a similar procedure with a USB bootable drive to prevent any local data on the comp faulty to be replicated.

Same result.Im out of options now and reported the whole narrative back to apple support. Sadly theyll be aailable only at monday again, since we have a weekend now.

Cant do anything further but wait.

Ofcourse u are free to try these steps for urself and see if u got more luck than I do.

M.

Dec 4, 2015 3:26 PM in response to mauricefromdubai

I try to play a movie in my library on my

(27-inch, Late 2009) 2.8 GHz Intel core i7

16 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Ari Radeon HD 4850 512 MB

OS X EL Capitan

iTunes freezes every thing and i hit escape key and get control of my cursor

and force quit iTunes which is showing as unresponsive.

So i try the same thing on my Mac Mini (Mid 2011)

2.3 GHz Intel Core i5

Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB

24 Inch Apple Led Cinema Display

OS X El Capitan

and it plays just fine but i did get a pop up saying it could not play on my display

that it will only play on displays that support something and gave me a check box to not show that message again.

but it is playing just fine on my Mac Mini.

another note is i was using Magic jack on another iMac early 2008 with Yosemite and it worked fine but after the

El Capitan update it would not work and Magic Jacks solution was an update that they said might take 24 tries to work and i stopped after 10 and rolled that iMac back to Yosemite. Apple told me that Magic Jack was 3rd party and it was up to Magic Jack to fix but iTunes is there baby

and they need to fix it yesterday.

iTunes 12.2.2 is freezing and crashing Mac Pro 2013

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.