Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem controlling HomeKit thermostat from iPhone on LTE

Hi all,

I have an iPhone 6 and Apple TV 3 with latest firmware. I bought a Ecobee 3 homekit thermostat recently and I've been trying to setup HomeKit. It works fine when I'm at home (from both my iPhone and iPad)

, but when I'm on LTE, all my iPhone gives me is something like "Hm, I can't seem to set your home away scene. Please check your devices" when I try to set the thermostat to "away".

I followed the Apple Support guide -- ensured that both iPhone and Apple TV are using the same iCloud ID. I have also logout/login on my Apple TV numerous times.

I have also tried the followings:

- Reset Homekit configuration

- Disable then enable the iCloud keychain from all my devices

- Logging out from iCloud from all my devices and log back in

None of them worked.

A couple things that might have caused the issue:

- I have two Apple TVs

- I have a xxx@me.com icloud email address, which Apple has internally aliased to xxx@icloud.com

As of right now, I have given up. I have tried everything for the past two weeks.

Apple TV

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 10:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2017 8:46 AM

What a unreasonable suggestion, in my opinion, of getting a Nest 3rd Generation thermostat after he has a perfectly good Ecobee 3 that he likes.

1. A Nest (any generation) thermostat in the hallway where no one hardly walks has nothing on the Ecobee 3 which has room by room averaging sensors with occupancy indication / inclusion and geofencing built in. Some people use the right thermostat for their reasons and buying another thermostat based on it working for your house setup is not really relevant to the discussion.
  2. The Ecobee app works much better, personal preference here. I use both apps and the Ecobee app is, by far, better then anything in the Nest app. The person opening the discussion already said that he did not have a problem with the Ecobee app just that he had a problem with Homekit working the way he wanted to when the Ecobee 3 thermostat was connected to Homekit. Since Nest does not support Homekit and the user wanted to use Homekit how is this any type of solution?
  3. That means getting two thermostats in one year because the first does not connect the way the user wants to homekit at the moment? You want to spend that much money? You rich? Of course, if you just bought the Ecobee then I guess you could try and return it if the Nest works for your requirements.
8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2017 8:46 AM in response to randynchicago

What a unreasonable suggestion, in my opinion, of getting a Nest 3rd Generation thermostat after he has a perfectly good Ecobee 3 that he likes.

1. A Nest (any generation) thermostat in the hallway where no one hardly walks has nothing on the Ecobee 3 which has room by room averaging sensors with occupancy indication / inclusion and geofencing built in. Some people use the right thermostat for their reasons and buying another thermostat based on it working for your house setup is not really relevant to the discussion.
  2. The Ecobee app works much better, personal preference here. I use both apps and the Ecobee app is, by far, better then anything in the Nest app. The person opening the discussion already said that he did not have a problem with the Ecobee app just that he had a problem with Homekit working the way he wanted to when the Ecobee 3 thermostat was connected to Homekit. Since Nest does not support Homekit and the user wanted to use Homekit how is this any type of solution?
  3. That means getting two thermostats in one year because the first does not connect the way the user wants to homekit at the moment? You want to spend that much money? You rich? Of course, if you just bought the Ecobee then I guess you could try and return it if the Nest works for your requirements.

Mar 28, 2017 10:31 AM in response to randynchicago

I also have a Nest, it doesn't work perfectly all the time, although it does work really good, I'm also going after the EcoBee3 as soon as I can, I'm trying to go all in as much as I can with HimeKit, I have the Hue lights and I am looking at various HomeKit enabled locks, I also believe my Ring Pro will be HomeKit enabled sometime this year. I do have the Wemo switches, replacing most of me wall switches so I'm stuck with those do to cost concerns, but they work great within their app. I also have an Echo running everything, I hope one day Apple will make something similar.

May 25, 2016 8:52 AM in response to avonord_

Did you ever find a solution? I have been having the same exact issue. I have two Ecobee3 thermostats which I have no problem controlling with Siri when I'm at home. As soon as I switch to cellular, I can no longer use Siri. I can access the thermostat no problem and make changes when away from home if I use the Ecobee app, so I know they have access to the outside.

I have tried everything:

Reboot phone and AppleTV

Factory reset AppleTV and start from scratch

Reset HomeKit and readd thermostats

Tried a different AppleID

Disabled 2-Factor (huge pain since I had to create app passwords again for everything)

Disabled and reenabled iCloud keychain

I only have one AppleTV so that's not an issue. I'm beyond frustrated as I've wasted hours trying to figure out what is wrong with Apple and HomeKit. I seem to be doing that more and more lately.

Nov 12, 2016 3:48 PM in response to avonord_

I had a similar issue with my Ecobee3. If you're using the Ecobee App to create your scenes using the preset Comfort Settings that you set up in your Exobee3 Thermostat you may notice the corresponding scenes are greyed out (semi-locked out) in HomeKit.

But If you go into HomeKit and modify that scene then it becomes colored. But it conflicts somehow with the comfort setting in your Ecobee Thermostat.

Your best bet is to turn off all your scenes in the EcoBee App then go into home kit and be sure to delete all the scenes for your ecobee if they're not already gone.

Then go into the Ecobee App and turn on and re-configure your scenses again to your preferences. It takes Very little time to do. Then the newly created scenes will appear in HomeKit again.

If you're going to modify the scene in the future use the Ecobee App and it will update the Scene in HomeKit. It seems both Apps have a conflict if you use those Pre-Programmed Comfort settings to dictate your scene since HomeKit doesn't understand the Ecobee Comfort setting..

Problem controlling HomeKit thermostat from iPhone on LTE

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.