Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is MacBook pro retina 13" 2015 good for music production (Logic pro x)

I am planning to buy MacBook pro retina 13 2015 for music production and I'll be using it for my college (Audio engineering) will it be worth to buy?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 10:51 AM

5 replies

Aug 28, 2015 2:59 PM in response to Dolma Barde

That's kind of like asking... "How long is a piece of string?"

It will depend on what you intend to do with Logic Pro X... but basically, yes.. it should be fine so long as;

A) You choose a model with a good sized internal system drive (512GB or 1TB). If you choose the former.. you should also invest in a good, fast external HD too....(Not USB2) for storing your audio files on...

B) You buy a model with plenty of internal memory.. 8GB is just about ok... 16GB is better.. 32GB is best...

C) You have good eyesight to work with such a small screen... 🙂

Aug 28, 2015 5:04 PM in response to Dolma Barde

Have you considered or looked at the Apple Certified refurbished Store?

Same warranty as new Macs but often 15-25% off..... and they look brand new 🙂

I have bought refurbed Apple Certified devices for years.. and not a single problem with any of them... I wouldn't ever buy a new Apple device, based on my experiences, if there is an option to buy a refurbed model instead 🙂

Here is the US Store link... (If you are in a different country, search for Apple Certified refurbished store in Google)

http://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

You might then be able to get what you want/need within your budget...

Current example on US Store...

Originally released March 2015

i7 3.1Ghz Quad Core

13.3-inch (diagonal) Retina display; 2560-by-1600 resolution at 227 pixels per inch

16GB of 1866MHz LPDDR3 onboard memory

512GB PCIe-based flash storage1

720p FaceTime HD camera

Intel Iris Graphics 6100

$1799 (20% off )

Notes: The units come and go very quickly... so keep checking for the ideal unit if there isn't one when you first check, in your price range.

Finally I recommend a Quad Core over a Dual core due to the performance gains when using a CPU intensive app like Logic Pro...

should I buy a PC with 16gb ram 2tb hard drive with i7 and a discrete graphics?

Sorry, can't recommend any PCs as I'm a Mac only user these days... and so my experiences with PCs in recent years, is very limited.

Is MacBook pro retina 13" 2015 good for music production (Logic pro x)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.