Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How are versions saved in Preview PDFs?

If you make a change to a PDF in Preview (such as deleting a page, which auto-saves with versioning), how does the versioning actually work when you share the document with others? Can they access the previous versions?

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 1:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2017 2:59 PM

The versions are stored in a separate folder, not within the document, unless that has changed. Versioning is done based on changes rather than saving whole copies which would use a lot of disk space unnecessarily.

The only article I have is: OS X Lion- About Auto Save and Versions. You may find more by searching Google.

6 replies

Aug 28, 2015 2:02 PM in response to Kappy

I see, so the versioning is stored locally outside the source file itself? How does cleaning up work, since I imagine that the versioning history could get quite large, especially with graphics-heavy PDFs.

Could you point me to some tech docs that explain how their versioning mechanism works? The docs on the Apple site are pretty bad in this respect. Thx!

Aug 28, 2015 2:46 PM in response to Kappy

Ya, that's the document I found and it's pretty poor. I imagine there's some sort of Git-style versioning under the hood, but since PDF's often contain bitmap material, I'd be curious to see how the storing and cleanup actually works. I guess I could dive into the developer docs, I was just hoping to find a bit more specifics without having to go into a deep dive.

Additionally, security issues with local diff repositories is definitely a concern, so I'd like to understand if there is any encryption in the process. This sort of system seems like it could be a security department's nightmare with persistent historical copies that are polluted throughout the system.

Thx!

How are versions saved in Preview PDFs?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.