Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why badges doesn't work on iPhone?

Hello!

Is there anybody who could help me with this problem? Apps like Twitter, Pinterest, YouTube, Alien Blue which I have installed doesn't show badge icon, if there's a new notification, at all. My settings are on. So there shouldn't be any problem. I tried reset, turn off and on phone / notifications, reinstall apps. Everything. And it doesn't work. Banners work great. But badges no.

Thank you.

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 1:43 PM

13 replies

Aug 28, 2015 2:28 PM in response to elcpu

Basic Apple apps works great. Except App Store - updates are not signalized with badges. But Phone, Mail, Messages works great. I am sure that Pinterest had badges on my phone in the past. It does nothing now. To be clear - I would like to have badges on: YouTube, Pinterest, eBay, Mixcloud and Twitter. I know that some apps doesn't support badges, and it won't work. But if there's possibility to ne notified by badges in some apps, I want to use it and find out why it doesn't work...

Aug 28, 2015 2:50 PM in response to YzzYYYY

I understand... The App Store will not show you a badge if the update is pending, unless you open the Store and then close it right away before the update is installed, and then you will see a badge for a little while. In the old days before auto updates you would see them regularly. So it appears that your native apps are doing what they are supposed to do. You have already deleted and reinstalled the apps that do not, gee, what else is left? The reason I asked earlier is that if this was a system wide problem then perhaps a restore might solve it but being an app specific issue I seriously doubt it. I would do a little research on one of them to confirm that they do indeed produce badges, that's about all that comes to mind. Good luck.

Aug 28, 2015 2:55 PM in response to elcpu

elcpu wrote:

I understand... The App Store will not show you a badge if the update is pending, unless you open the Store and then close it right away before the update is installed, and then you will see a badge for a little while. In the old days before auto updates you would see them regularly.

Note: the option to not do auto updates is still out there. I do not have auto updates turned on for anything on my device. So, I still get badges for App updates....

Cheers,

GB

Aug 28, 2015 3:48 PM in response to gail from maine

Some apps are tricky. The native apps and various others do show all the options but some do not. Below are 3 photos of the Amazon app. Going by the first one, one would think that it has no alerts or banners but it does, they just have to be set after clicking on the > on the right. Pic 2 is with Banners enabled and Pic 3 is with Alerts enabled... go figure.... 🙂

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Aug 29, 2015 5:40 AM in response to YzzYYYY

YxxYYYY,

You invariably saw my screenshots above that I posted to Gail showing how the Amazon App does not display all the options available unless one clicks on > and then selects from the menu that ensues. Have you tried that? Let's say on Pinterest since you are sure it had badges... It is always possible that the App developer changed the App in an update, worth checking perhaps. Do you have another iOS device like an iPad where you could check it? Or with a friend? I am trying to isolate the issue to just your phone or not....

If your iPad shows badges on Pinterest then we know it is an issue with your phone, if it does not then the issue is with Pinterest an not much you can do from your end other than contact them.

If the issue is your phone, two options come to mind, reinstall the app but you already did that, and then do a complete backup, reset and restore as per the instructions below. It will take you 30-60 minutes. If you are going to do the restore, first import all you photos to your computer and also any important files or data. Then delete the Pinterest App and all others that may be misbehaving (that way when you restore the phone you will not bring them back). Then after the full restore install Pinterest again and all others and check. That is about all I can think of to do if all your settings are already configured as they should. Good luck.....

Use iTunes to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

Why badges doesn't work on iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.