Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to get around the 13" Macbook Pro exclusion from the extended warranty program?

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)

Processor: 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory: 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Startup Disk: Macintosh HD

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB

Hello, as some of you might remember, there was quite a number of Macbook Pros produced between 2011 and 2013 that had faulty graphics cards, causing the laptop to freeze with a distorted screen, will not turn on (3 beeps are made instead) and when it does turn on, it takes a while to boot up. This was considered a production fault. There were petitions made for Apple to fix this problem and finally, last February, they launched a program that allowed people to send in their Macbooks, and fix this problem.

However, this only covered 15" and 17" Macbooks, not 13", which was also suffering from this fault. Saying I was a little upset is an understatement.

I am aware that replacing the graphics card itself is impossible since it is soldered into to the motherboard.

So my question is: Is there another way to get this problem fixed? Is there another program I'm not aware of?

It's completely unfair that I paid so much money for something that's faulty and not get covered for it.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 1:36 PM

2 replies

Aug 28, 2015 1:51 PM in response to Kooger2439

The problem with the 15"/17" MBPs is that they have a discrete GPU and that is where the problem exists. The 13" MBP has only an integrated GPU that has not experienced the mass failures of the other models. All mechanical devices are susceptible to failure and you have the misfortune of a MBP that is simply not covered by the replacement program. Perhaps had you opted for Applecare, then the malady would have been covered.

Ciao.

Is there a way to get around the 13" Macbook Pro exclusion from the extended warranty program?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.