Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PopUp with Mac Support Helpline 1-866-453-2895

I keep getting this popup with the listed phone number. I finally called it today and the people talking said they were from Fargo Technologies. I just want to know how to get rid of the pop-up. I am generally using Chrome (up to date) when this occurs... in fact, I don't recall 'ever' getting it with Safari.

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 11:56 AM

16 replies

Aug 29, 2015 5:16 AM in response to Linc Davis

Linc Davis wrote:

If Safari is not affected, you may have installed a malicious Chrome extension such as "Adblock Super" or "News Ticker Remover."

There's no reason at this point to think that adware is involved. These pop-ups can occur in any browser, simply by visiting the wrong site.

Follow the instructions at the link dominic23 gave. If the problem repeatedly comes back, regardless of what sites you're visiting, then you'll need to start thinking about adware removal.

Aug 29, 2015 8:25 AM in response to jdubjsw

"Avast" is the worst of the whole wretched lot of commercial "security" products for the Mac. Not only does it fail to protect you from any real danger, it may send personal data (such as web browsing history and the contents of email messages) back to the developer without your knowledge, give false warnings, destabilize and slow down the computer, expose you to network attack, and corrupt the network settings and the permissions of files in your home folder. Removing it may not repair all the damage.

Some versions of the product also inject advertising into web pages. In short, apart from the fine print in the license agreement, Avast is indistinguishable from malware, and is arguably worse than any known malware now in circulation.

Back up all data, then remove Avast according to the developer's instructions. Restart. Never install any "anti-virus" or "anti-malware" software again.

If you tried to remove Avast by dragging an application to the Trash, you'll have to reinstall it and then follow the instructions linked above.

PopUp with Mac Support Helpline 1-866-453-2895

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.