Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music files are on my mac, but Itunes shows them needing to be downloaded

Hi there,

I recently did a a reinstall on my mac and saw today that I couldn't see any of my music in itunes. So I did this -

If you don't see your content after you update iTunes - Apple Support

Now I can see them in itunes, but every song/album shows as needing to be downloaded (the cloud with down arrow icon).

All the files are in my itunes media/music folder.

How can I get itunes to recognize the files and make the cloud icons go away?

Thanks!

Tom

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 11:39 AM

4 replies

Aug 28, 2015 12:33 PM in response to tvanveen

You can get rid of the iCloud Download symbol by setting Music, Movies, and TV Shows to only display Only Music Available Offline, although I don't know that this will cause iTunes to remember your local files. Select (for example) the Music at the far left of iTunes, then from the iTunes Menubar select View, Only Music Available Offline.

Good luck

srb

Aug 31, 2015 2:50 PM in response to Steven Blunk

tvanveen, this is puzzling.

One more thing to check: Under certain circumstances (I'm not clear on what they are) the Music symbol in the upper left corner of the iTunes window turns into an up-down toggle that lets you switch between "On this computer" and "[username]'s Music." If you're seeing that, try switching the setting there.

If that changes nothing, you might try opening iTunes > Preferences > General, and switching off iCloud Music Library.

Music files are on my mac, but Itunes shows them needing to be downloaded

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.