Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use the maps function on my iPhone 6 in international countries?

What steps do I have to take to use the maps function as a GPS on my iPhone 6 when traveling in international countries?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 12:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 3:12 PM

You must have a roaming/international data subscription with your phone provider, or use a WiFi connection to plan your route. The maps application will keep the route in memory when done via wifi, including turn indications unless you need to reroute (i.e. take a wrong turn). You need a data connection for the maps application to work autonomously.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 28, 2015 3:12 PM in response to jeffryfrombuck hill falls

You must have a roaming/international data subscription with your phone provider, or use a WiFi connection to plan your route. The maps application will keep the route in memory when done via wifi, including turn indications unless you need to reroute (i.e. take a wrong turn). You need a data connection for the maps application to work autonomously.

Aug 29, 2015 6:28 AM in response to Corvette2

Thanks for your quick response. That makes sense. However, I expect most of my need will be ad hoc, where WIFI won't be available. I was advised by a couple of people that the least expensive approach was to get a SIM chip installed with perhaps 3 or 4 gigabytes of data, once in the country. My phone provider (Verizon) doesn't seem to offer that much data capacity. I was wondering if I was on the right track with that approach.

Aug 29, 2015 6:49 AM in response to jeffryfrombuck hill falls

Yes sounds like an idea. It depends where you are going, in Europe it is not easy to get a temporary pay as you go data card, as most are subscription based. Across Europe you could try visiting the Orange internet site to get an idea. Orange is mainly present in all European countries. (I am in Switzerland).

You could also look into an off line map, such as TomTom etc. The GPS normally should be able to triangulate over 3G/4G without a data connection.

Can I use the maps function on my iPhone 6 in international countries?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.