Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 Mic intermittent issues during speakerphone

I repair phones for a company. Someone brought back their phone for the mic not working while on speakerphone. After testing, I can get the mic to work on speakerphone SOMETIMES, but if I switch back to normal mode and then back to speakerphone again immediately (basically double tap the speakerphone icon), the mic will still not work.

I thought it may be the charger creating issues (I have no idea at this point so I'm trying everything). And while testing charging WHILE on speakerphone I found that sometimes if the speakerphone mic isn't working, and then I plug in the charger, the mic immediately starts working.

I'm BAFFLED. Help?

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 11:23 AM

1 reply

Aug 30, 2015 9:11 AM in response to Eric Overway

Hello Eric Overway,

It sounds like your speaker on the phone isn't functioning consistently. In general this is either going to be a software issue or a hardware issue, and we should be able to isolate to either with some basic troubleshooting. I would start by quitting all the running apps on the phone:

Force an app to close in iOS

1. Press the Home button two times quickly. You'll see small previews of your recently used apps.
2. Swipe left to find the app you want to close.
3. Swipe up on the app's preview to close it.

When you have done that restart the device and test the issue again:

iOS: Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting
If the issue persists, backup your device to iTunes, then restore it as new and verify that it works.

How to erase your iOS device and then set it up as a new device or restore it from backups

If it does, then restore your backup to either verify it still works and the software just needed reinstalled, or isolate the issue to the backup file itself.

Now if nothing works, then I would be confident in recommending service for this issue, since restoring as new will eliminate software from the equation outright:

iPhone Repair and Service

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

iPhone 6 Mic intermittent issues during speakerphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.