Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhones cannot find Brother Printer reliably with AirPrint (Brother support sent me here - network issue)

So I have a brother printer (MFC-J450DW), which is connected to my Mac OS X 10.9.5 desktop computer via a USB cable. Using this setup, I can print from my computer. However, I want to be able to AirPrint, and my router does not have wireless capabilities. So I have the aforementioned Mac hosting a Wi-Fi network, to which multiple iPhones and other devices are connected, including the printer in question. I meet all the requirements for an iOS device to AirPrint to a Brother printer that Brother knows of, and indeed I can after multiple restarts of an iPhone and a restart of the printer, I can see and print to the printer, but my iPhone always quickly loses sight of the printer, requiring me to perform the restarts all over again every time I want to print anything. This is to the point where it is easier to just put the documents right on the computer and print from there, rather than trying to AirPrint them. I contacted Brother support and they came to the conclusion that it is a network problem since I am running a non-standard network. So now I'm here. What's causing this issue and how do I fix it?

Other details:

-Using the Brother Printer app on an iPhone I still cannot reliably locate the printer.

-The iPhones are all iOS 8.4.1

-I can get the local IP Addresses if you need them, dunno if that matters.

Any and all help is appreciated.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 12:26 PM

4 replies

Aug 28, 2015 2:08 PM in response to Avantir Yihn

To airprint your printer must be connected to the network by wireless.. or you must use a special software on the Mac like Printopia.

So I have a brother printer (MFC-J450DW),

This is a wireless airprint capable printer..

There is NO.. I repeat NO airprint printer that is not wireless.. the two are part of the same package. Airprint is a protocol for printing over wireless.

It will not work to a printer plugged in by USB.. the printer MUST be connected into your network by wireless.. go back and read all the instructions.

http://www.brother-usa.com/MFC/ModelDetail/4/MFCJ450dw/Overview#.VeDNeryqpBc

Aug 28, 2015 2:43 PM in response to LaPastenague

I understand. The printer is connected to the computer via USB, but it is ALSO connected to the computer's Wi-Fi. Like I say, AirPrint does work, I just have to do multiple restarts every time I want to use AirPrint.

So I have the aforementioned Mac hosting a Wi-Fi network, to which multiple iPhones and other devices are connected, including the printer in question.

Aug 28, 2015 2:50 PM in response to Avantir Yihn

Then unplug the USB.. it must be wireless and wireless alone.. You are confusing the system having it connected by both USB and wireless.

Also as a router, the Mac is not perhaps handling airprint properly.. if that is the case you would be better going the other way.. disconnect the wireless and use Printopia or one of the other print servers designed to interpret airprint protocol.

iPhones cannot find Brother Printer reliably with AirPrint (Brother support sent me here - network issue)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.