Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

6 Plus Battery Question

So, I got my 6 Plus yesterday from the AT&T Store.

It was at around 80% I believe out of the box when I got home.

I got it down to around 52% before going to sleep.

I woke up and it was, sadly, at 41%.

I kept it on me all day at work today (but barely used it) and I just now got to 20%.

What's the best way to charge these things to keep the battery nice and long?

I've read online, don't let it charge all the way to 100% or let it go below 15-20%....so....what's the best thing to do?

I have it currently charging.

EDIT: Also, is it bad to plug it in for like an hour, then unplug it to go out, then come back home and re-plug it back in and let it charge to 100% or what?

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.3, null

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 3:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 3:49 PM

First, read this:

http://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/#ios

My experience and opinions:

It is perfectly fine to charge it to 100% and keep it plugged in at 100% for a "normal" amount of time (e.g. overnight) ... it will not overcharge.

Letting it drain to 15-20% is not a problem, but don't let it drain much further on a regular basis.

When it is new the battery may drain faster than normal -- usually because you're fiddling with your new toy more than usual, but there may be some settling in time (debatable on that point).

Occasionally iOS updates can cause unusual battery drain, but a restore (backup, erase and reload backup) normally cures that. Other than that, use Airplane mode if you're in a poor or non-existent cellular region if you don't have external power available.

The 6+ has awesome battery life, better than any prior iPhone I've owned. Enjoy it.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 28, 2015 3:49 PM in response to Community User

First, read this:

http://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/#ios

My experience and opinions:

It is perfectly fine to charge it to 100% and keep it plugged in at 100% for a "normal" amount of time (e.g. overnight) ... it will not overcharge.

Letting it drain to 15-20% is not a problem, but don't let it drain much further on a regular basis.

When it is new the battery may drain faster than normal -- usually because you're fiddling with your new toy more than usual, but there may be some settling in time (debatable on that point).

Occasionally iOS updates can cause unusual battery drain, but a restore (backup, erase and reload backup) normally cures that. Other than that, use Airplane mode if you're in a poor or non-existent cellular region if you don't have external power available.

The 6+ has awesome battery life, better than any prior iPhone I've owned. Enjoy it.

Aug 28, 2015 3:53 PM in response to rockmyplimsoul

Soooo, I can charge it when it's at 20% until like 42%, then I get called to hang out with some people so I take it off charge and use it, then put it back on charge when I'm home?

I just don't want it to lose battery or whatever the terms are. Don't wanna wear it down. Want to get the most optimal battery life possible.

So, basically, it doesn't matter how I charge it all all? I can let it get to 15% and charge it to 100% or partially, then put it back on charge later and it won't mess the battery itself up any or have me lose battery life?

I only ask 'cause it seems my 4S *really* lost its battery life & I figured it was because I did partial charges and whatnot a lot.

Aug 28, 2015 4:07 PM in response to Community User

Hi there,

Congrats on your new phone! I love my 6 Plus. It's the best phone I've ever owned. That being said, I can tell you that its likely that the way you're charging your phone isn't the problem. Depending on how you use your phone, there can be many reasons why the battery doesn't seem to be lasting as long as you expect.

There are some features, like Background App Refresh and Notifications that can use up a lot of your battery life. Every time your display 'wakes' for a notification, it takes a certain amount of power to wake the screen. Auto-Brightness is another huge thing that impacts your battery life, as well as location services.

Take a peek at this page here: http://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/#ios

You will find some great tips on optimizing your phone so that its as efficient as possible. It also talks about how iOS devices charge and how charge cycles work.

Hope this helps!

Aug 28, 2015 4:11 PM in response to LovingLife15

Thanks for your time, however, I already have done all of that.

I am actually curious, though, why my battery drained 10% while I was sleeping....My LG G3 that I just got rid of never wouldn't lost 10% overnight while not being used. Hmmm

Aug 28, 2015 4:23 PM in response to LovingLife15

Yeah.

I mean, I'm not noticing anything out of the ordinary while I'm using it. Just not sure why it drained 10% overnight.

Home/Lock screen is showing as 17% under Battery Usage. My lock screen didn't have very many notifications when I woke up, though.

Messages is first, at 18% usage.

Aug 28, 2015 4:33 PM in response to Community User

Using the battery level meter in this manner is comparable to using your car's fuel gauge to calculate miles per gallon. The only thing that matters is the total amount of operating time from full charge to auto-shutdown.

Use the wall-mount charger that came with the iPhone and charge overnight. Do NOT use a computer's USB port. Then, operate it normally until auto shut-down (ignore any low level alerts that may appear). An irony is that doing that test to determine the total operating time is also the procedure necessary to calibrate the battery level meter.

I'm not claiming that you do not have a problem. I am stating, however, that we don't yet know. If the above test does, in fact, indicate a problem, read this.

Also, according to Apple:

Use Your Device Regularly

For proper reporting of the battery’s state of charge, be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down).

Elsewhere, Apple elaborates and explains that two half-discharges (or four quarter-discharges, etc.) equals one full discharge.

6 Plus Battery Question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.