Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Tried to update MacBook to Yosemite, won't boot now

I decided to update my MacBook (late 2008, aluminum) to Yosemite from Mountain Lion. Update failed. Now the MacBook won't boot into either OS. I'd like to create a CLEAN reinstall of Mountain Lion but can't find a means to do that. (No I don't have a backup of this machine. There was no data on it.)

I can't find any way to obtain or purchase a disc with Mountain Lion or Yosemite that I can use to boot the computer and then erase the HDD before installing the OS. I'm stuck. Help...

Dennis...

MacBook, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 2:56 PM

5 replies

Aug 28, 2015 2:59 PM in response to ddbrunnenmeyer

Try this before going the extreme of erasing the HDD. Starting from scratch can require first installing Snow Leopard (not Mountain Lion which doesn't come on any disc.)

Reinstalling OS X Without Erasing the Drive

Boot to the Recovery HD: Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears.

Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions: Upon startup select Disk Utility from the main menu. Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions as follows.

When the recovery menu appears select Disk Utility and press the Continue button. After Disk Utility loads select the indented Macintosh HD entry from the the left side list. Click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If Disk Utility reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit Disk Utility and return to the main menu.

Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Continue button.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible because it is three times faster than wireless and more reliable.

Aug 28, 2015 3:17 PM in response to Kappy

After the chime, I press the COMMAND and R keys. I get a faint apple logo on a light background, The "progress" bar moves very slowly to roughly the midpoint and then fails to go any further, even after several hours.

I WANT to erase the HDD and get a CLEAN installation. I don't consider that an extreme at all. To me its very sensible.

Dennis...

Aug 28, 2015 3:49 PM in response to ddbrunnenmeyer

Since you still have a working Recovery HD:

Install or Reinstall OS X from Scratch

Be sure you backup your files to an external drive or second internal drive because the following procedure will remove everything from the hard drive.

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears.

Erase the hard drive:

1. Select Disk Utility from the main menu and click on the Continue button.

2. After DU loads select your startup volume (usually Macintosh HD) from the

left side list. Click on the Erase tab in the DU main window.

3. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Optionally, click on

the Security button and set the Zero Data option to one-pass. Click on

the Erase button and wait until the process has completed.

4. Quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Install button.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible

because it is three times faster than wireless.

This should install the version of OS X that you had installed.

Aug 28, 2015 4:26 PM in response to Kappy

I do not have a working Recovery Disk.

Let me repeat my last response. Perhaps it wasn't clear. When holding down the COMMAND and R keys, I do not get a menu of any kind. I get the Apple logo on the grey background. The "progress" bar does not go beyond about 40% of the way even after several hours of patient waiting.

When I hold down the OPTION button after the chime, I get two images on the screen. One is an image of the HDD internal to the MacBook, in this case named Picasso rather than Macintosh HD. The other is an HDD image for a recovery disk for Yosemite 10.10.x, not Mountain Lion. But that doesn't matter, because...selecting either one does not yield a different response. I get the Apple logo again on the grey background. The "progress" bar does not go beyond about 40% of the way even after several hours of patient waiting.

Dennis...

Aug 28, 2015 4:30 PM in response to ddbrunnenmeyer

That means your Recovery HD is apparently shot or the hard drive has failed. If the hard drive is still functional, then you will need an installer DVD for Snow Leopard. If you don't have the DVD:

You can purchase Snow Leopard through the Apple Store:Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.). The price is $19.99 plus tax. You will be sent physical media by mail after placing your order.

After you install Snow Leopard you will have to download and install the Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1 to update Snow Leopard to 10.6.8 and give you access to the App Store.

If you do have the Snow Leopard installer DVD:

Clean Install of Snow Leopard

1. Boot the computer using the Snow Leopard Installer Disc or the Disc 1 that came

with your computer. Insert the disc into the optical drive and restart the computer.

After the chime press and hold down the "C" key. Release the key when you see

a small spinning gear appear below the dark gray Apple logo.

2. After the installer loads select your language and click on the Continue

button. When the menu bar appears select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu.

After DU loads select the hard drive entry from the left side list (mfgr.'s ID and drive

size.) Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window. Set the number of

partitions to one (1) from the Partitions drop down menu, click on Options button

and select GUID, click on OK, then set the format type to MacOS Extended

(Journaled, if supported), then click on the Apply button.

3. When the formatting has completed quit DU and return to the installer. Proceed

with the OS X installation and follow the directions included with the installer.

4. When the installation has completed your computer will Restart into the Setup

Assistant. After you finish Setup Assistant will complete the installation after which

you will be running a fresh install of OS X. You can now begin the update process

by opening Software Update and installing all recommended updates to bring your

installation current.

Download and install Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1. Once you update to 10.6.8 you can download Mountain Lion or Yosemite from the App Store and install.

If you are unable to erase the HDD or if the Disk Utility Status area for the HDD shows that SMART is not "Verified," then the HDD needs to be replaced.

Tried to update MacBook to Yosemite, won't boot now

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.