Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

controlling isight camera

I saw the non-3rd party fix to disable the ISight camera.

Moving the System/Library/Quicktime file "QuickTimeUSBVDCDigitizer.component" to a backup location works.

Seems not difficult to write a script to move it back and activate it when I choose, but I'm all for the default to not give any access to ISight to any app without my express permission.

I wouldn't have considered doing this, but I was using google hangouts from my gmail account to phone someone, and the Isight green light came on, so I'm guessing google wanted to snap a photo of who is making the free call, and that is too invasive for me. Windows has a simple way to leave the camera enabled, but allows the user to specify which apps can access it. That's really clever and creepy that Google can access Isight without asking my permission, but I suppose I must have agreed to this when choosing to make a free call using Google Hangouts (no, I didn't bother to read the user agreement license).

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 1:43 PM

There are no replies.

controlling isight camera

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.