Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Win10 Air install issues

I have installed Win10 twice now using Bootcamp 6.x Assistant USB drive. The installation completes normally and the Bootcamp driver pops up upon login. But both times the Macbook Air 5,2 unceremoniously shuts off and reboots before the installation completes. I have tried different thumb drives. I have tried copying the files to the Desktop first , but the laptop reboots before the copy can complete. I am currently running the tool I found here from github to manually download the BC files from Apple. So far the only thing that causes a reboot is running an installer or a large file copy from USB. I also found that running Win10 in a VMware VM stored on a TBolt connected drive will cause the laptop to shut off and reboot. I have no issues in MacOS 10.10.x at all. The download tool failed to complete before some background process (software update?) rebooted the laptop. I have updates set to schedule reboots.

MacBook Air (11-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 3:04 PM

7 replies

Aug 28, 2015 3:30 PM in response to mntbighker

You need to look in the logs created by the Bootcamp installer. BC6 has an unsigned driver called AppleSSD.sys which can cause the installation of drivers to fail. Please see [urgent]get "appleSSD.sys" error when installing windows 7 through bootcamp . This may not be the only issue, but the logs the best place to look for any additional errors. Look for files names setupact.log to setuperr.log and there are many such logs to scan through.

Thunderbolt issues also exist. Please see Thunderbolt ports and displays: Frequently asked questions (FAQ) - Apple Support .

Aug 28, 2015 4:27 PM in response to mntbighker

I had issues on a 2012 13-in MBP with BC6 drivers and W7 installation. My only workaround was to remove AppleSSD.sys from $WinPEDriver$ directory. Once I removed it, my W7 installation worked. I have the USB file system structure I used, posted on that thread, and you can see the directory is not in the PE directory.

My suggestion is to move it to a different place on your USB and test. You will know very quickly. There may be other issues.

Here is what I used to install W7.

User uploaded file

Aug 28, 2015 5:41 PM in response to Loner T

I doesn't look like an unsigned driver had anything to do with it. Once I finally found a way to get the Bootcamp installer on the internal drive instead of a USB drive, the installation finally completed. After the reboot I finally have a working Bootcamp in the system tray, and a working Apple Software Update. I don't know yet if the rebooting issues will continue with USB drives attached (or at all), but so far things appear to have stabilized. I never found any errors in any log to help explain this situation. I hesitate to call this resolved.

Aug 28, 2015 6:27 PM in response to mntbighker

mntbighker wrote:

Run Setup.exe from the install thumb drive and the laptop will randomly just reboot.

The USB driver installation from the USB is causing it to be disconnected in middle of the installation and the installation aborts depending on when the drive is being ejected. Windows is protecting itself by restarting. After the crash, which OS does the Mac boot into?

Win10 Air install issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.