Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot Camp won't install

I'm running Windows 10 on a late-2013 MacBook Pro. Earlier this evening I was presented with Boot Camp offering to download update 6 for me.

So I went ahead with this and when it finally downloaded (it took over 2hrs to download) I got two strange messages:

1. Windows installer has failed
    No information on whose Windows installer had failed, nor why it had failed.
  2. I can't remember the exact message, but it was unable to find some required file(s) and was looking in my profile's Downloads folder, specifically at \Downloads\Apple\BootCamp\Drivers. No such directory exists, and as I hadn't manually downloaded the drivers I've no idea why it thought such files would be at that location. Surely it would download all the files it needs?
    I had to hit Cancel to get rid of the dialog asking me to tell it where these files were.

The MacBook then restarted, but it's still running Boot Camp 5.1.

Can anyone explain how I can get Boot Camp to install properly?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 3:05 PM

13 replies

Aug 28, 2015 3:23 PM in response to awj100

On the OS X side BC6 drivers are not offered, but they need to be downloaded via BC Assistant.

On the W10 side, Apple Software Update will determine the availability of BC6 drivers. The process of unpacking has failed, hence the errors. The directory will exist if the unpacking of individual drivers is successful.

You can download BC6 drivers from BC Assistant 5.1.4 to a USB. Check the version in Bootcamp.xml in the first couple of lines.

Aug 29, 2015 2:07 AM in response to Loner T

Ok, I've downloaded just the Boot Camp support files to an external hard drive, then rebooted into Windows.

BootCamp.xml shows that it's version 6.0.6133.

I then ran Setup.exe and encountered the same error as before.

User uploaded file

Obviously my only real choice here is to choose "Close the program". A few moments later it's asking me for the required file:

User uploaded file

I then navigated through the external hard drive and found the file that it's looking for (BootCamp.msi) in \BootCamp\Drivers\Apple\.

However...

User uploaded file

What do you suggest I do now? I suppose I could go through each of the drivers in the \Drivers\ directory and manually install them - is that safe?

Aug 30, 2015 11:27 AM in response to Loner T

Loner T wrote:

Every driver that starts functioning properly, will make Windows boot slower.

I'm not sure that that statement is entirely true, but considering that the Boot Camp update didn't install, why is my startup so much slower than it used to be? Having such a long period before the OS starts booting is surely not intended.

Aug 30, 2015 11:36 AM in response to awj100

Every driver that loads in BIOS emulation makes it that much slower. Fast Boot does not query the hardware, and is quicker. It also skips memory validation. Your specific model is UEFI. If you want faster boots, I suggest you install Windows 8 or higher using EFI Boot. W7 (non-Enterprise version) is not stable with EFI Boot and has too many bugs.

Aug 30, 2015 11:50 AM in response to Loner T

Loner T wrote:

I suggest you install Windows 8 or higher using EFI Boot.

Well, now that you mention it, on a previous MacBook Boot Camp installation (2 or 3 years ago) running Win7 I had the white BIOS emulation screen for about 12 seconds. But when I bought this MacBook I did a clean install with Win8 and it booted immediately, obviously because it was using EFI and not BIOS emulation.

Now, that was the very same installation that I recently upgraded to Win10 and it was still booting very quickly (no reason why it shouldn't because it would still be using EFI). But after that attempted BC6 update it now appears - if you're correct - that it's no longer using EFI and has switched to BIOS emulation. With respect, I doubt that a BC update has made that change.

Also, the Fast Boot option is greyed-out, unavailable.

Aug 30, 2015 12:07 PM in response to awj100

Hello, I was pretty mad when i went to roll out a clean install of Windows 10 as my boot camp and it fails at the end. But, I worked at it for a few hours and found an answer that i hope works for you. You will need:

Windows 10 ISO file from Microsoft.

16GB blank USB flash disk

You must run all OSX updates in the App Store to make sure your on the latest Bootcamp utility

This is for a fresh Windows 10 install (it will wipe out all your files on any previous boot camp install so back them up)

Part 1 - prepping the disk

1. Run the Boot Camp Utility and let it remove any existing partition if it prompts you. If it doesn't prompt you, just close it, we will open it again later.

2. Run the OSX Disk Utility, Select your hard drive with your OSX install on the left side. (dont click on a partition, but on the drive itself - its usually highest in the list)

3. Click the partition button and you will see your Macintosh HD parition (Dont mess with this one, its all your MAC stuff). Click the + sign at the bottom and it will add a new partition.

4. Click directly on that new partition on the left and give it a name (ie BOOTCAMP) and (important) change the format to ExFAT.

5. Drag the little divider between the two partitions to size the BOOTCAMP partition appropriate to what you want. You DO NOT want to take all the free space from your Mac. 20GB is a minimum for Win10 and it depends on how many apps your going to install. Click APPLY and wait till its done. Note: i try to make the size of the new partition something unique so I can distinguish it from other partitions when installing windows. So for my example, lets say my OSX drive is 500GB and my window partition is going to be 75GB. I will note that for the Windows install part.

Part 2 - prep your install USB

6. Next you are going to prep a USB drive using the Boot Camp Utility. (16GB size or bigger, make sure it has no files on it). Stick the USB in and run the Bootcamp utility.

7. Select "Create a Windows 7 or later version install disk. This should automatically select the second item for you. Deselect the 3rd item "Install Windows"

8. You will need to point it, when prompted to your Windows 10 ISO and your USB drive. Let it run and it will take a while. What its doing is making a USB with both Windows 10 install (multi partition) and creating a folder called Bootcamp which will include drivers and files needed later to run the hardware.

Part 3 - Installing Windows

9. Now, with the USB in, reboot your mac and hold down OPTION. When the boot menu comes up you will see your OSX/Mac partition as well as a Windows (orange) icon and an EFI (orange) icon. You may see more but those are the ones we are interested in. Select the orange Windows drive.

10. Start by running thru each dialog of the WIndows install. When the installer comes to disk selection, find the partition (in GB) that your created earlier. In my example, i actually see 4 partitions. 2 of them are in MB not GB. So i know these are the wrong ones. The partition 1 is approx 100GB, so i know thats my Mac... dont select that. I located my 75GB drive (approx) and i click on Format and let the utility format the drive.

11. Then you can select that newly formatted drive and click Next.

12. From here on it, its a regular install of Windows. The touchpad will work just fine for clicking and moving, but for right clicking and other stuff, we will fix that later after the install is completed.

13. Note... the install, to complete 100% required 2 reboots. YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER to hold OPTION down when it goes to reboot and select your Bootcamp to boot into, otherwise, it will go into your Mac and not complete the install. If you miss it, dont worry, just reboot and hit OPTION and go into it again. Do not remove the USB yet. Mine needed 2 reboots to complete.

Part 4 - Installing boot camp stuff

14. After your running your newly installed Windows 10, you have one last job to do. Install the boot camp stuff. While in windows open your USB and open the folder called BootCamp. Run setup in there and take the defaults.

15. To customize your touchpad to allow you to right click, tap etc... after boot camp drivers are installed, down at the bottom right, click the arrow to review hidden icons, and open up the BootCamp Control panel. On the first tab, this sets which drive it should boot by default. I leave mine on my mac. On the other tabs let you customize the rest of your touchpad.

I hope this helps you because it was driving me nuts!! Enjoy 🙂

Aug 30, 2015 12:04 PM in response to TimPetro

Thanks for the advice Tim. Is any of that different from the standard Boot Camp installation?

Also, does it have to be a USB flash drive or can it simply be an external USB drive (i.e. a legacy hard drive in an external enclosure)?

I've been toying with the idea of doing a clean install anyway... a lot of work to get back to where I am now.

Aug 30, 2015 12:17 PM in response to Loner T

Loner T; the reason i suggest your format ExFat is only to get the Windows install to see a partition, since we are not using the Bootcamp automation. Windows 10 can see that. You REFORMAT it anyway during the windows install to NTFS so it should not matter. Do you agree?

PS: note when you first boot the USB drive, you will see TWO orange icons. One says EFI and the other says WINDOWS. If you use the EFI boot to install it will fail at the very end. If you select Windows (orange) as i noted in the steps it will finish correctly. 🙂

Boot Camp won't install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.