Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iMac6,1 just crashed with the dastardly "clicking" on trying to restart. I'm assuming that I need to install a new harddrive. What should I buy? Suggestions please. The rest of the machine is great.

My iMac6,1 just crashed with the dastardly "clicking" on trying to restart. I'm assuming that I need to install a new harddrive. What should I buy? Suggestions please. The rest of the machine is great. 2006 core 2 duo intel with 2G ram. It's all backed up, just need to get it running.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7), iMac6,1

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 4:52 PM

4 replies

Sep 14, 2015 12:15 PM in response to AngelaRH

I bought a new hard drive and now I'm trying to take the case apart. I took out the ram screws and plate. I took out the 4 bottom screws. I've been trying for 45 minutes to get a credit card to pop the inner levers to release the screen. I'm having a devil of a time!! I've watched this on youtube several times. The credit card is pushed up into the slot and the screen pops open. Then I figured that I wasn't strong enough to use a credit card so I had better buy the "apple tool" but I can't find the tool anywhere on the website. Please help!!

My iMac6,1 just crashed with the dastardly "clicking" on trying to restart. I'm assuming that I need to install a new harddrive. What should I buy? Suggestions please. The rest of the machine is great.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.