Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipod trade-in or loyalty discounts

Can you provide any information regarding product purchase replacement (ex. loyalty programs) and any potential discounts or trade-in options that may be available. The Ipod was less than one year old and was damaged.

iPod touch (5th generation)

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 3:59 PM

5 replies

Aug 28, 2015 4:07 PM in response to wallacehomestead

If it is in warranty then make an appointment at the Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar and take it in for service. If you are not in the USA or cannot set up an appointment this way, then contact your local Apple Store directly.

If your iPod Touch, iPhone, or iPad is Broken

Apple does not fix iDevices. Instead, they exchange yours for a refurbished or new replacement depending upon the age of your device and refurbished inventories. On rare occasions when there are no longer refurbished units for your older model, they may replace it with the next newer model.

ATTN: Beginning July 2013 Apple Stores are now equipped to do screen repairs/replacements in-house on iPhone 5 and 5C. In some cases while you wait. According to Apple this is the beginning of equipping Apple Stores with the resources needed to do most repairs for iPhones, iPads, and iPod Touches that would not require major replacements. Later in the year the services may be extended as Apple Stores become equipped and staffed with the proper repair expertise. So, if you need a screen repaired or a broken screen replaced or have your stuck Home button fixed, call your local Apple Store to see if they are now doing these in-house.

You may take your device to an Apple retailer for help or you may call Customer Service and arrange to send your device to Apple:

Apple Store Customer Service at 1-800-676-2775 or visit online Help for more information.

To contact product and tech support: Contacting Apple for support and service - this includes international calling numbers.

You will find respective repair costs in the appropriate link:

iPod Service Support and Costs

iPhone Service Support and Costs

iPad Service Support and Costs

Aug 28, 2015 4:07 PM in response to wallacehomestead

- Apple will give you a 10% recycling discount if you turn in an old iPod when you purchase a new one.

Apple - Recycling Program for iPod and Mobile Phones

- Unless the following:

However, certain damage is ineligible for out-of-warranty service, including catastrophic damage, such as the device separating into multiple pieces, and inoperability caused by unauthorized modifications.

Apple will exchange your iPod for a refurbished one for t$99 for a 16 GB 5G and $149 for the other 4Gs. They do not fix yours.

Service Answer Center - iPod

Aug 28, 2015 4:51 PM in response to lllaass

sent the ipod for service/repair and they responded...

Apple Support

Our technicians inspected your product. They noticed it shows signs of accidental damage or misuse, so they can't repair it. The repair wouldn't be covered by the warranty, an AppleCare product, or an Apple repair program. We'll send the product back to you right away. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Not sure what happened with it it, is my daughter's. Still in one piece, not shattered but will not power up. Would I take it to a Apple store for the refurbished one for the discount?

Aug 28, 2015 5:19 PM in response to wallacehomestead

You can sell it to one of the big Apple used equipment buyers--Gazelle, SellYourMac--or you could peddle it on a site like Ebay or Amazon. In fact, Amazon has its own buy-back program for items that are still in demand (a Touch 5 is bringing around $100).

I could try to sell my iPod Touch 5th gen to individual shoppers on Amazon for $200 or more. But after 3 years the battery is good for 2 hours (max!)(and that's only when I dim the screen and don't turn up the volume). In other words, my conscience would not let me sell a Touch 5th gen to a private buyer. After one year, you grow less fond of it with each passing day.

I upgrade with each new model, but at the moment I'm in disbelief. What has Apple done to make the Touch 6 a compelling buy compared to the Touch 5? The screen is the same dinky 4" size. And the battery is exactly the same as the Touch 5 (my Touch 2 and two Touch 4's, on the other hand, can still go for 6 hours or longer).

The only improvement that I can see in the Touch 6 is the elimination of that silly and useless spring-loaded post for attachment of an included wrist-band. So why doesn't Apple lose those inferior earphones while they're at it? That could save the consumer 10-20 bucks.

ipod trade-in or loyalty discounts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.