Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

yosimite ossues

I got stuck installing yosimite. It would stop halfway. I got help from a user and was told exactly what I needed to do thought I had it all installed, did my update everything was working great until I rebooted now it's back to the same thing it's stuck halfway through install. I don't know what to do next! The installation was done. Why did it go back to reinstalling? I have a iMac early 2008. Updating to Yosemite

iMac, iOS 8.4.1, Mac early 2008 desktop

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 7:22 PM

7 replies

Aug 28, 2015 7:29 PM in response to Bunsnbutters

Is your data backed up? See my FAQ*:

http://www.macmaps.com/backup.html

Are all your applications known to work with Yosemite?

http://roaringapps.com/apps

Are all your peripherals known to be compatible?

Printer and scanner software available for download for your Mac - Apple Support

If not, you should address each of those issues first.

Lastly, make sure you have at least 15% + 8 GB of your hard drive free (that means a 100 GB hard drive should have at least 23 GB free).

* Links to my pages may give me compensation.

Aug 28, 2015 9:27 PM in response to a brody

I Have photos etc backed up. I used to run time machine but stopped like an idiot. No idea where the hard drive is or if I got stuff over it. I only have a hp wireless printer scanner etc. I do t care what I have to loose just as long as I can get my computer working. I've never had issues. I thought I was installing omniweb but later found out it was yosimites. I did the command r and ran my disk repair. Ran disk permissions. Installed yosimites and did ally updates. The computer was running great. It got stuck and command, option, escape wasn't working. I shut it down by hlosing the button. Turned it back on and it's back to the gray screen with an apple logo and a status bar that's stuck half way. It did this at first and I contacted another user who told me it wasn't omniweb and must be an operating system. I downloaded yosimites months ago and thought I updated. I found out I never did and was running somethjng else. Not sure if it was Mavericks or lion. I'm stumped, not sure if I should repeat the process over or why it's trying to install again.

Aug 29, 2015 1:54 PM in response to a brody

Thank you. Yes and no about the backup. I have several externals and photos and some software is backed up. But my Time Machine I let stop about a year ago and I'm not sure if I still have the backups. I need to check every external. And then I'm not sure what to do. I did click on all of your links. I only have a HP Envy D100 all in one printer. Its wireless and not even connected to the mac. Other then that just the apple wireless keyboard and track pad.

Apps I am not sure. All my apps had been there for quite awhile. I was running 10.9.2 I believe before. I always have went to the apple store online and paid for the download to update my software.

I posted everything regarding my issues I am having now in another post. Any help would be appreciated.

Aug 29, 2015 2:00 PM in response to Eric Root

Thank-you for responding. Heres the entire story. I bought memory online. 4GB 2x2GB Ram Memory for Apple Imac "Core 2 Duo" 2.4 20-Inch Early 2008 DDR2-800 PC2-6400 SO-DIMM. The description says: Compatible with Apple-iMac "Core 2 Duo" 2.4 20-inch Early 2008 4GB Total, 2PC 2GB PC2-6400 200 pin SODIMM DDR2 800MHz MB323LL/A iMac8.1- A1224-2210 Max Memory 6GB.

I installed the memory but had downloaded Yosimite before installing. After installing the memory the pc was way faster. I decided to install Yosimite and got stuck on a gray screen with the apple logo and a process bar. The install would stop halfway. I thought I was installing omniweb at first. I submitted a question on here and a picture and was informed it wasn't omniweb I was installing. I followed the user Kappy instruction and went to disk utility and repaired the disk. It took probably 6 times of re-running the repair. I kept getting messages saying the disk couldn't be repaired and to reformat. Finally I got the message it was repaired. I did the disk permissions and then installed the only option there was which was Yosimite. After installation I got the message to install my updates. I did my updates and everything seemed to be great. Actually the best its been since purchasing. Later that day I got stuck the computer froze and nothing I did was working. Command Option Escape nothing. I turned it off by holding the power button and then turned it back on. My screen went back to the gray screen where it got stuck halfway through. I had asked what to do next and saw that I may have to take it to the apple store. I used to run Time Machine and quit about a year ago. I have several external hard drives and don't remember if its still on one or I erased it. I do however have all my photos movies and some software on externals. I decided to go back into disk utilities and run a disk repair again. This time I must of ran it 15 times and every time I get the message that the disk cannot be repaired to to back up and reformat the drive. I have purchased all my software or OX upgrades online. The copy of Yosimite showed up in disk utilities under the hard drive and says disk1 OS Base system. I wasn't sure if I erased the drive if I would loose that too. I'm not even sure how to erase the drive. I have had windows computers until I bought my mac in late 2009 and have never has any issues until this. My pc's were always having problems.

I am on a fixed income so I've always tried to figure things out. Your links are great. My problem is which one do I follow. Can you direct me with the information provided? Thanks for any help.

yosimite ossues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.