Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPad Mini Power button is not responsive

My iPad Mini 1 screen went black EXCEPT for the top line that has the word iPad and the wifi symbol on the left, the time in the middle, and the bluetooth symbol, battery % (83%) and battery charge amount symbol on the right. I pressed the Home button and Siri answered and presented me with results of a web search but I couldn’t get any of the results to respond. Then I pressed the Power button. A short press turned off the top line. The next press brought that top line back again. A long press did nothing. Then I tried to press the Power button AND the Home button. Siri answered. The Power button seems not function. I also plugged it into the charger but there was no difference. Any thoughts?

iPad Mini, iOS 8.1

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 5:55 PM

1 reply

Aug 30, 2015 8:09 AM in response to myrafromyuma

Howdy Myra,

It sounds like your iPad screen isn't showing what it should be and you're having trouble actually getting into the Home Screen. I would try holding the Sleep/Wake button and the Home buttons rather than pressing them to try forcing the iPad to restart.

Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

To force restart your device, press and hold both the Sleep/Wake and Home button for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo.

If that doesn't get it to restart and right the ship, so to speak then would try the troubleshooting on this article for buttons that don't seem to be working to try getting the Sleep/Wake button to work again:

Get help with buttons and switches on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If the Sleep/Wake button doesn't work

On iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, the Sleep/Wake button is on the right side of the device, near the top. On earlier models, the Sleep/Wake button is on the top of the device, toward the right side.

If the Sleep/Wake button isn't working and your iOS device is on, follow these steps:

1. Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button.
  2. If you see "slide to power off," turn off your device and then turn it on again.
  3. If you can't turn off your device, try to reset it.
  4. If the Sleep/Wake button still doesn't respond, follow these steps and test again:
    • Check for debris or dirt around the Sleep/Wake button and clean it with a soft cloth.
    • Remove any case or film.

If you can't turn on your iOS device, connect it to an A/C adapter. When your device is charged, try the steps above again. If the battery is extremely low on power, your device might display a black screen for up to 10 minutes (up to 20 minutes for iPad) before you see a charging indicator on the screen.

If you have an iPhone 5 and the Sleep/Wake button still isn't working, or works intermittently, you might be eligible for this replacement program.

If you've followed the steps above and the Sleep/Wake button still doesn't respond, if it works intermittently, or if it's damaged, contact Apple Support to set up service.

If you are able to force restart the device, and the issue persists then it sounds to me like you need to back it up with iTunes then restore it as new and verify that it works first:

How to erase your iOS device and then set it up as a new device or restore it from backups

If it does, then restore your backup to either verify it still works and the software just needed reinstalled, or isolate the issue to the backup file itself.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

My iPad Mini Power button is not responsive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.