Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I put photos on iPad through iTunes with out using iCloud

I just got a replacement iPad from the Apple store during a Genius bar visit.

I was asked if everything was backed up,but as I was overseas we decided that since I used iCloud it wouldn't matter.

The guy checked that I had iCloud which I do but somehow with the new iPad when I backed up from iCloud there are no photos.

Now that I am home I'm trying to put photos on my iPad but I keep getting the message that I can put the photos on via iCloud.I don't want to do that as I have no idea how to.

With the previous iPad all the photos were there in iTunes and I could select which photos I wanted to put onto my iPad,but now for some reason it's saying the photos are in iCloud and to put them in from there.

When I log into iCloud there are hardly any photos..I'm not sure why as I pay extra every month for iCloud to allow me extra storage.

I'd rather not have to email myself 13,000 photos to get them onto my iPad without using iCloud.

I'm confused?

iPad

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 4:29 PM

10 replies

Aug 28, 2015 5:03 PM in response to flyinghostie

I share your frustration. Not sure why Apple never provided a direct mechanism to access iPhone /iPad products direct from Apple OS, like why not just show up as another device in Finder? (Just like it does when connected via USB to a Windows PC...wow). I guess there is a good reason.

There may be an iCloud setting that you could turn off in the iPad Settings for Photo-Camera. Might be easy fix. Try that first.

If not there are a couple ways I found that you can get the photos back onto the iPad without iTunes/iCloud. I jut put some back on mine after having to dump everything in order to do an iOS upgrade.

You can use a service like Dropbox. After setting up your account on your Mac (I presume), and on your iPad, dump a batch of photos to the DropBox, connect your iPad and send photos to iPad. I had a DropBox account but never used it quite that way, but it worked.

The other way is a commercial WiFi transfer app that goes on your Mac and iPad. I just bought one for $2.99 at the Apple store, and it worked great to transfer photos to/from iPad without iCloud or iTunes.

Hope that helps.

Aug 28, 2015 6:17 PM in response to flyinghostie

I am confused as well... My comments in blue below:

I was asked if everything was backed up but as I was overseas we decided that since I used iCloud it wouldn't matter.

The guy checked that I had iCloud which I do but somehow with the new iPad when I backed up from iCloud there are no photos. Having iCloud and having photos on iCloud are two different things. I have iCloud but don't have a single photo there. Do you have iCloud Photo Library turned ON? Settings > Photos & Camera. If you don't, go to Settings > iCloud Do you have Photos turned ON?

Now that I am home I'm trying to put photos on my iPad How? but I keep getting the message that I can put the photos on via iCloud. I don't want to do that as I have no idea how to. Where and how do you get that message?

With the previous iPad all the photos were there in iTunes Maybe just semantics but the photos were not on iTunes, they would be on your computer HD and iTunes allows you to sync them to your iPad and I could select which photos I wanted to put onto my iPad but now for some reason it's saying the photos are in iCloud and to put them in from there. Relates to whether you have iCloud Photo Library on or not.

When I log into iCloud there are hardly any photos. I'm not sure why as I pay extra every month for iCloud to allow me extra storage.

I'd rather not have to email myself 13,000 photos (that would be very time consuming) to get them onto my iPad without using iCloud. Where are these 13,000 photos? On your computer? I think this is the first thing we need to determine. If they are on your computer and you can confirm that, the worse that would happen is that you lose the few that you have on iCloud. If you don't mind losing those, turn iCloud P. L. OFF (if On), go to Settings > iCloud > and turn Photos OFF. That is how I have mine set up BUT ONLY DO THIS IF YOU ARE SURE THE 13,000 ARE ON YOUR COMPUTER and you can see them. Then connect to iTunes and sync those 13,000. They will not appear in Camera Roll, they will show up as Albums named and structured just like you see them on your computer.

I'm confused? I hope I did not make it worse. If you are unsure, just repost with the information I asked above and perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me about iCloud P.L. can help with those there. The steps about syncing from your computer if your 13,000 are indeed there should hold.

Aug 28, 2015 7:17 PM in response to Florida Mike

Thanks for your reply.

I do have Drop Box and thought that would be an easy option,but I'm yet to work out how to get the Photos from iPhoto on there.I really dislike Photos and my computer seems to always revert to that Photo library,when I only use the iPhoto library.Dropbox only seems to detect the new photo library,which is not up-to-date.

I'm sure I'll work something out.

Aug 28, 2015 7:26 PM in response to elcpu

I was asked if everything was backed up but as I was overseas we decided that since I used iCloud it wouldn't matter.

The guy checked that I had iCloud which I do but somehow with the new iPad when I backed up from iCloud there are no photos. Having iCloud and having photos on iCloud are two different things. I have iCloud but don't have a single photo there. Do you have iCloud Photo Library turned ON? Settings > Photos & Camera. If you don't, go to Settings > iCloud Do you have Photos turned ON? I have it turned OFF on the iPad,and it deleted the photos that were on there...all except for 3 of them?

Now that I am home I'm trying to put photos on my iPad How?I am trying to do it through iTunes but the message that comes up when iPad is selected is iCloud Photos is on.The iPad can access them in iCloud via WiFi or Cellular.
but I keep getting the message that I can put the photos on via iCloud. I don't want to do that as I have no idea how to.
Where and how do you get that message?The message is in iTunes when I select photos under iPad

With the previous iPad all the photos were there in iTunes Maybe just semantics but the photos were not on iTunes, they would be on your computer HD and iTunes allows you to sync them to your iPad and I could select which photos I wanted to put onto my iPad but now for some reason it's saying the photos are in iCloud and to put them in from there. Relates to whether you have iCloud Photo Library on or not.

When I log into iCloud there are hardly any photos. I'm not sure why as I pay extra every month for iCloud to allow me extra storage.

I'd rather not have to email myself 13,000 photos (that would be very time consuming) to get them onto my iPad without using iCloud. Where are these 13,000 photos? On your computer? I think this is the first thing we need to determine. If they are on your computer and you can confirm that, the worse that would happen is that you lose the few that you have on iCloud. If you don't mind losing those, turn iCloud P. L. OFF (if On), go to Settings > iCloud > and turn Photos OFF. That is how I have mine set up BUT ONLY DO THIS IF YOU ARE SURE THE 13,000 ARE ON YOUR COMPUTER and you can see them. Then connect to iTunes and sync those 13,000. They will not appear in Camera Roll, they will show up as Albums named and structured just like you see them on your computer. The photos are on my iMac in iPhoto ,I also seem to have the new photos from Apple but I prefer to use iPhoto.

I'm confused? I hope I did not make it worse. If you are unsure, just repost with the information I asked above and perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me about iCloud P.L. can help with those there. The steps about syncing from your computer if your 13,000 are indeed there should hold.

Aug 28, 2015 11:32 PM in response to flyinghostie

I ended up restoring the iPad from an earlier backup done in June.That was the other iPad I had before Apple replaced it.

Somehow all of the photo settings that were used back then were able to be used to put the photos back onto this iPad.There was no message telling me to get them from iCloud.

I've done the restore and backed up the new iPad to iTunes on my iMac and it seems to be fine.

C'mon Apple...why make us all run rings getting our photos onto the iPad....they are all Apple products after all.

I miss Steve Jobs !!!!!

Aug 29, 2015 3:41 AM in response to flyinghostie

One suggestion which will save you a lot of headaches in the future, and maybe me as well since I am doing all this typing, LOL. 🙂

First determine if you are still using iCloud P.L. or not. If you are, make sure you know how to get your photos from iCloud to your computer first. Follow the instructions here: Archive or make copies of your iCloud data - Apple Support

If not then go Settings > iCloud and turn Photos OFF. Your photos should be on your Camera Roll. Import all your photos to your computer. This is quite different than making a backup through iTunes. A backup into iTunes does not suffice for photos, it is much better than nothing but you need to import them to your computer as per below:

Import photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your Mac or Windows PC - Apple Support

If you follow the above you will not have the issues you had and you will not have to run rings again. I don't.

And yes, we all miss Steve!!!

Cheers,

elcpu

Why can't I put photos on iPad through iTunes with out using iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.