Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I receive an email with a gift card, it just says "Connecting to iTunes," but won't load.

My mom sent me an email with a gift card on it. When I type Redeem, it just goes to a page that says "Connecting to the iTunes Store," but it won't redeem or do anything. Any suggestions?

MacBook Air (11-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 5:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 6:21 AM

Hello IvorDude,

Thank you for visiting Apple Support Communities.

It seems like you're clicking the Redeem link in an iTunes gift card email, but the iTunes Store doesn't connect.

Can you access the store normally by opening iTunes and clicking the iTunes Store tab at the top? If you still can't connect to the iTunes Store, try the steps in If you can’t connect to the iTunes Store.

If you can visit the iTunes Store directly, try this workaround to redeem the gift card:

1. Control+Click (or right click) the Redeem button in your email and choose Copy Link.
  2. Paste the link into the Safari address bar or another application like TextEdit.
  3. The end of the URL should contain "CODE=" and then a string of 16 letters and numbers.
  4. Copy the 16 character string--this is your actual gift code.
  5. Go to the iTunes Store and choose Redeem on the right-hand menu.
  6. Paste the code you copied and click Redeem.

If this method doesn't work either, I'd recommend contacting iTunes Store support for more help.

1. Go to the iTunes Store support page and choose your country.
  2. From the menu on the left, choose Contact Support.
  3. Click Contact iTunes Store Support.
  4. Follow the instructions.

From If you can't redeem your iTunes Gift Card or code - Apple Support

Best Regards.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2015 6:21 AM in response to IvorDude

Hello IvorDude,

Thank you for visiting Apple Support Communities.

It seems like you're clicking the Redeem link in an iTunes gift card email, but the iTunes Store doesn't connect.

Can you access the store normally by opening iTunes and clicking the iTunes Store tab at the top? If you still can't connect to the iTunes Store, try the steps in If you can’t connect to the iTunes Store.

If you can visit the iTunes Store directly, try this workaround to redeem the gift card:

1. Control+Click (or right click) the Redeem button in your email and choose Copy Link.
  2. Paste the link into the Safari address bar or another application like TextEdit.
  3. The end of the URL should contain "CODE=" and then a string of 16 letters and numbers.
  4. Copy the 16 character string--this is your actual gift code.
  5. Go to the iTunes Store and choose Redeem on the right-hand menu.
  6. Paste the code you copied and click Redeem.

If this method doesn't work either, I'd recommend contacting iTunes Store support for more help.

1. Go to the iTunes Store support page and choose your country.
  2. From the menu on the left, choose Contact Support.
  3. Click Contact iTunes Store Support.
  4. Follow the instructions.

From If you can't redeem your iTunes Gift Card or code - Apple Support

Best Regards.

When I receive an email with a gift card, it just says "Connecting to iTunes," but won't load.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.