Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blinking folder with ? in it?

I have a 2012 Macbook Pro i7 intel 4GB of Ram and a toshiba 750GB HD. I started it up like i normally do but today I didn't see the apple logo gray screen and a folder with a ? mark in the middle blinking? I have tried the Command + R and it goes to the world spinning log on to wifi and then it gives me the screen with 4 options disk utility ,reinstall,web support,and i have went thru all options and I don't see the HD to choose to start up from. it says not enough information gathered? Is there a different way to be able to access the HD from a my Mac Pro desktop via usb? I can reinstall the OSX because it can't find the HD? so It knows where to install itself to?? I have a lot of Files that I can't afford to delete or lose!! any out there have any suggestions or Ideas? i know my best bet is to buy a new HD and just be done with it! I need those files off this crashed HD can't lose them!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 6:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 6:36 PM

Your HDD is apparently shot. You need to have it replaced. Once your computer is able to work again, put the old HDD into an external enclosure. You then can see if it is accessible and if you can recover any of your data. But there is no guarantee. Also, see:

General File Recovery

If you stop using the drive it's possible to recover deleted files that have not been overwritten by using recovery software such as MAC Data Recovery, Data Rescue II, File Salvage or TechTool Pro. Each of the preceding come on bootable CDs to enable usage without risk of writing more data to the hard drive. Two free alternatives are Disk Drill and TestDisk. Look for them and demos at MacUpdate or CNET Downloads. Recovery software usually provide trial versions that enable you to determine if the software would help before actually paying for it. Beyond this or if the drive has completely failed, then you would need to send the drive to a recovery service which is very expensive.

The longer the hard drive remains in use and data are written to it, the greater the risk your deleted files will be overwritten.

Also visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on Data Recovery.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 28, 2015 6:36 PM in response to the amigo

Your HDD is apparently shot. You need to have it replaced. Once your computer is able to work again, put the old HDD into an external enclosure. You then can see if it is accessible and if you can recover any of your data. But there is no guarantee. Also, see:

General File Recovery

If you stop using the drive it's possible to recover deleted files that have not been overwritten by using recovery software such as MAC Data Recovery, Data Rescue II, File Salvage or TechTool Pro. Each of the preceding come on bootable CDs to enable usage without risk of writing more data to the hard drive. Two free alternatives are Disk Drill and TestDisk. Look for them and demos at MacUpdate or CNET Downloads. Recovery software usually provide trial versions that enable you to determine if the software would help before actually paying for it. Beyond this or if the drive has completely failed, then you would need to send the drive to a recovery service which is very expensive.

The longer the hard drive remains in use and data are written to it, the greater the risk your deleted files will be overwritten.

Also visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on Data Recovery.

Blinking folder with ? in it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.