Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 6 Stuck On Activation Lock with an iCloud account that never existed pre-restore

Hello all,

I am completely new to the Apple community, so forgive me if I make some mistakes.

I decided to do a fresh restore (iOS 8.4.1) on my iPhone 6 due to instability (apps not downloading or updating, and occasional springboard freezing/crashing). Before I did that restore, I was signed in with my own iCloud account and Apple ID, and I did backups regularly. After the restore however, I was prompted to enter the iCloud ID and password of an Apple ID that *never* ever existed on my iPhone or any iDevice in my family (I didn't use other people's Apple IDs to downloads apps before). When I logged into my iCloud on my computer later in the day, I found that my iPhone was still listed under the devices section. In addition, I contacted Apple support today, and they said that there was nothing on their part that they could do, since Activation Lock is a theft deterrent which they don't have control over (doubtable?)

I want to know three things:

1. How could this unknown Apple ID have gotten into my phone?

2. Is there any legitimate way of bypassing Activation Lock?

3. If apple cannot operate on my phone, can they replace it. and will it be free of charge or will it cost money?

Thanks, and I appreciate any help.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4.1, Activation Lock error

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 6:36 PM

3 replies

Aug 29, 2015 6:36 AM in response to Tom Lasky

Tom Lasky wrote:

Hello all,

I am completely new to the Apple community, so forgive me if I make some mistakes.

I decided to do a fresh restore (iOS 8.4.1) on my iPhone 6 due to instability (apps not downloading or updating, and occasional springboard freezing/crashing). Before I did that restore, I was signed in with my own iCloud account and Apple ID, and I did backups regularly. After the restore however, I was prompted to enter the iCloud ID and password of an Apple ID that *never* ever existed on my iPhone or any iDevice in my family (I didn't use other people's Apple IDs to downloads apps before). When I logged into my iCloud on my computer later in the day, I found that my iPhone was still listed under the devices section. In addition, I contacted Apple support today, and they said that there was nothing on their part that they could do, since Activation Lock is a theft deterrent which they don't have control over (doubtable?)

I want to know three things:

1. How could this unknown Apple ID have gotten into my phone?

2. Is there any legitimate way of bypassing Activation Lock?

3. If apple cannot operate on my phone, can they replace it. and will it be free of charge or will it cost money?

Thanks, and I appreciate any help.

1. You or whoever setup that phone entered it.

2. Providing Apple support with original proof of purchase is legitimate way to help.

3. Apple can sell you a new phone.

No additional answers will be provided by me.

Iphone 6 Stuck On Activation Lock with an iCloud account that never existed pre-restore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.