Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my iPad "see" two SSID's for my router?

Hi, I'm in UK and using TalkTalk "FTTC" Broadband.

Normally, my iPad stays connected with no trouble but tonight, it unusually lost contact with my router.

I tapped my SSID, and expected it to connect but it requested the pass key!

Typing it in, and tapping connect just resulted in the same request again!

After several attempts, I became aware of another SSID which was the same as my usual one, but where the one I recognise as my own regular SSID ends "xxxC" this new one ends "xxxC-5G" ...strange.

I thought "any port in a storm" and gave that one a try ...and it accepted my pass key!

What on earth is going on?

Since it's nearly 3am here, I am not getting out of bed to confront my router, but notice my phone has also lost connection and is unable to reconnect to the usual SSID.

Does anyone have an explanation for the two SSID's suddenly being broadcast by my router?

Windows Vista

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 7:06 PM

19 replies

Aug 28, 2015 7:42 PM in response to elcpu

Thanks elcpu, I set the router up and have always automatically connected on the 2.4GHz band using the manufacturer's default pass key.

all my "mobile' kit automatically reconnects to this SSID when I return home without the need for re-entering the pass key each time.

Tthis evening, also, all was well, ...until I came to bed!

now, neither phone nor iPad will connect to the 2.4GHz band, only the 5GHZ (wps available) SSID.

What is more, both devices "forget" the pass key when woken from sleep! ...Grrr!

Something very odd is afoot!

Aug 29, 2015 3:18 AM in response to SydSnott

Thanks elcpu, I set the router up and have always automatically connected on the 2.4GHz band using the manufacturer's default pass key.

All my mobile kit automatically reconnects to this SSID when I return home without the need for re-entering the pass key each time.

This evening, also, all was well, ...until I came to bed! Now, neither phone nor iPad will connect to the 2.4GHz band, only the 5GHz SSID. What is more, both devices "forget" the pass key when woken from sleep! ...Grrr!

Something very odd is afoot!

I agree that something is afoot alright!! Do you know the passwords to both networks, i.e., whether default or not if you were to disconnect form them would you know the passwords to re-enter? If not, there are ways of reseting the router to default but that will also reset all your settings. Here is what I would do - but do not do this if you do not know the passwords to both the 2.4 and 5 bands. If you do not know the PWs post back and I will guide you.

First reboot the router. Just pull the power plug and leave it off for 2 to 3 minutes. Then reconnect the power to the router and wait until all the lights are back to normal (about 2 minutes). That may be all you need, reason being that both your phone and iPad are having the same issue which to me points more towards the router. The above you can do safely whether you know the PWs or not. If you do know the PWs, then go into both the phone and iPad (best to try one first) and do a network reset: Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. Follow that with a forced restart. Hold down the Home and Wake/Sleep buttons at the same time for about 15-20 seconds until the Apple logo appears. Ignore the "Slide to power off" text if it comes up. You will not lose anything. Then go back to Settings > Wi-Fi and rejoin the networks again, try 2.4 first and then 5.

Then would you please post back and let us know the results, good or bad? If good you are home free but would appreciate your feedback. If bad there are several other options to try but let's start with the easiest....

Cheers,

elcpu

p.s., one last suggestion, if all successful, change that default passwords (both bands) on the router to something only you know, as-is your neighbors could very well be messing with you. If they are, I will show you how to stop it, but what they may or could have done already is now history. Once you change the PWs you will have to forget both networks on your devices and rejoin them with the new password.

Aug 29, 2015 3:54 AM in response to SydSnott

This two visible is easy to set in the router: when you do not give a name to the 5GHz Band it will have the same name (and password if any) and your device will connect to the strongest signal, either 2.4GHz or 5GHz.

In Airport Utility it is in the WiFi tab under the "options" button.

Personally I always set the WiFi routers to show the two bands separately, where I just add 5GHz to the name as in your case. That makes it possible to connect to the 5GHz even if the signal strength is lower: the 5GHz band has practically no interference from other utilities/household appliances.

Lex

Aug 29, 2015 4:26 AM in response to Lexiepex

Lex, I believe that is the way he has it set up already. If you go back to his first post, his 2.4 band is xxx-C and his 5 band is xxxC-5G. However, somehow his 2.4 band is just dropping out, maybe a defective router or maybe it just needs a reset. He cannot get in to the 2.4 with his PW. It is possible that with a default PW that some creep logged into it with the standard default PW and changed it to something else so the creep now has control of the router. A total router reset to factory would clear that but Syd would have to reconfigure the router again including a new PW.

I also have my bands named differently but do not use the 5 as it has far less range than the 2.4. In close quarters where interference is an issue, I would use the 5. In my case with a house in the suburbs and land around me, my interference is from my own devices, cordless phones, alarm, etc.

I like your Avatar, btw... 🙂

Aug 29, 2015 4:43 AM in response to elcpu

I do not have an Avatar, it is a selfie 😁😁

I like your Avatar too, I hope it is not a selfie. 😁😁

I agree completely: as I said in my post also. I just explained that having the possibility to choose the band can be a good advantage. Effectively I advised him not to go to the one visible band only, although I explained how to do it.

Lex

Aug 29, 2015 5:24 AM in response to Lexiepex

LexSchellings wrote:

I do not have an Avatar, it is a selfie 😁😁

I like your Avatar too, I hope it is not a selfie. 😁😁

Lex

A selfie??? I had not thought of that. You are quite a good looking guy, but don't get me wrong!!! 😁

You are right, not a selfie... I like birds, really any kind of wildlife... often travel to where I can see them (not shoot them).

Here is my real selfie...

User uploaded file

Aug 29, 2015 5:47 AM in response to elcpu

I like birds, really any kind of wildlife... often travel to where I can see them (not shoot them)

Same for me, we have lots of that in our holiday thing in FR: all sorts of owls (you may know them, distant relatives), falcons, "easy" birds, deer, badgers, and so on. At home where I live (high alps) even ibex !!

Aug 29, 2015 6:16 AM in response to elcpu

Sorry guys, we are quite evidently in different time zones, I just had to shut my eyes at 4am!

I am grateful for the advice that you both have posted and here is an update:

Unsurprisingly, I had a late start this morning!

Immediately checked the iPad ...still on "xxxC-5G" and still wouldn't accept the 2.4GHz band.

Seeing as the morning was almost gone, I decided to have a leisurely bath and trim my facial hair!

(Anyone know what God has in store for us which would require several feet of nasal hair?)

Once dressed and down stairs, I checked my Sony TV which is wirelessly connected to my router ...no internet connection, as expected.

went into settings and viewed wireless settings, and lo and behold, it was connected to "xxxC", the elusive 2.4GHz band!

Selecting "Refresh Internet Content", it did Infact draw down current content, so it is genuinely connected to the correct 2.4GHz Band!

Next, tried the TalkTalk "YouView Box" which is also Internet connected, but via "home plug" WiFi extenders.

True to form, it wasn't connected, ...this is an ongoing gripe I have with TalkTalk concerning this box which they foisted upon me!

The ****** thing needs to be rebooted every sodding day if you want to maintain an Internet connection, however, after the customery reboot, it was connected to the 2.4GHz Band!

Last of all, my PC, which should be blissfully unaware of the router's misdeeds that occurred after it had been switched off.

On booting it, it announced that it was "disconnected" which is something I have come to accept as one of Bill Gates's "Features" of Vista!

Upon viewing the available networks, the only one (of mine) that is showing is the 2.4GHz, to which it (reluctantly, as usual) connected.

Seems that the problem must lie with my router, I've only had it for a year!

My old Thomson Speedtouch never gave me a single problem during its entire 10 year lifespan!

Maybe I'm just getting old, but it seems "Fing aint wot they used to be"!

Thanks for your help, I suspect we've found the culprit and I need to get TalkTalk to send me a new router!

Aug 29, 2015 6:49 AM in response to SydSnott

Anyone know what God has in store for us which would require several feet of nasal hair?

I talked to Him, and He said that we here can measure time, while at His place there is no time at all, thus he uses the number and length of the nasal hairs as a sort of measure of our age, the older we are the more and longer nasal hairs we have.

As far as HomePlug extenders, they do not provide a frequency band at all, just a replacement for an ethernet cable. The WiFi signal at the end is "produced" by the WiFi router.

Aug 29, 2015 7:23 AM in response to Lexiepex

I talked to Him, and He said that we here can measure time, while at His place there is no time at all, thus he uses the number and length of the nasal hairs as a sort of measure of our age, the older we are the more and longer nasal hairs we have.

As far as HomePlug extenders, they do not provide a frequency band at all, just a replacement for an ethernet cable. The WiFi signal at the end is "produced" by the WiFi router.

I am trying to stop laughing long enough so I do not mistype too many words. Eye oso talked to Him ah he recommends that u use Wireless Powerline Adapters like the ones linked below. They are true access points, not extenders, and even TP-Link recommends them over their own extenders (see their description under "Better Performance than Wi-Fi Only Range Extenders). Regarding the second link below, I have the Cisco variety and in fact I wrote the review that shows up as "the most helpful", I am the person named "C". If you do read the review please go to the end, the first part refers to the non-wireless kit and the last part to the wireless variety.

Eye aso hope da this helps... 😁 😁 😁

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WPA4220KIT-ADVANCED-Powerline-Extender/dp/B00HS QAIQU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440856790&…

http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Powerline-Wireless-Extender-PLWK400/dp/B0087O6AQE/ ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1440856790&sr=8-4…

Aug 29, 2015 7:37 AM in response to elcpu

Stop laughing, nasal hairs are serious! Besides, you started it.

Wireless Powerline adapters are just Powerline adapters that have a wifi "router" built-in at the end, instead of having to plugin a Wifi router.

I have a very complicated place with different Phase outlets everywhere, so I found the strongest PLA that I could find and ordered them from Amazon Netgear AV600, without the wifi grimmick (no mistype).

Aug 29, 2015 8:10 AM in response to Lexiepex

Lex said:

Stop laughing, nasal hairs are serious! Besides, you started it.

Lex, this is elcpu, not SydSnott. I think all this laughing and levity has created some errors here. I intended my previous post to go to SydSnott but I was indeed laughing so hard that I posted it to you instead. Then you said I started it but I did not, Syd did. I have no hairs (I must be very young).

Wireless Powerline adapters are just Powerline adapters that have a wifi "router" built-in at the end, instead of having to plugin a Wifi router.

True indeed although mine has an Ethernet port at the bottom also so I could forgo the wifi router bit. For me the problem is that my ISP feed comes into one room only (as it is now which could be changed). With a Wireless PLA I can place additional APs throughout (only one needed at the moment) whereas if I had a separate Wi-Fi router I would have needed a second ISP feed at that location.

I have a very complicated place with different Phase outlets everywhere, so I found the strongest PLA that I could find and ordered them from Amazon Netgear AV600, without the wifi grimmick.

I just tried to find them on Amazon and could not (I searched for Netgear AV600). Is this a EU thing? I am in Texas and as you know we are still roping cows. The closest I could find was a Netgear N600 which is a router. If you do find them I would be interested in reading about then, "grimmick and all" as I am usually on the lookout for better toys...

Best,

elcpu, not Syd (no offense Syd)

Aug 29, 2015 9:00 AM in response to elcpu

I think you must be right about your nasal hairs, you are too young to ask yourself...😁

The AV600 Netgear Model numbers are XAV6504 and XAV6504 (set in a box):

XAV6501 has a GB ethernet port, XAV6504 has one GB port plus 3 fast ethernet ports. Where possible I use the ports instead of WiFi, much faster.

I also have a AV500 set which have one fast ethernet port each. As far as I can se the 500 and 600 are equal powerful.

these AV500 and 600 have a power outlet on it, which is very practical.

I had also several Devolo sets but they did not satisfy me at all. And tried several others (like Swiss).

About your situation: you mean that you have a fixed ISP connection only, not a modem? Not that it makes difference, powerline adapters are really more flexible in your situation, the XAV6604 can act as a real switch at the same time.

Lex

Why does my iPad "see" two SSID's for my router?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.