Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I un-enroll from iCloud?

iMac (27-inch Mid 2010), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 7:08 PM

5 replies

Aug 28, 2015 8:58 PM in response to gail from maine

Thank you for responding! I would appreciate any help you can offer.

A friend told me she had posted some recent trip photos on iCloud, and included a link from Apple inviting me to "Subscribe" to iCloud so I could view them. But when I clicked on the Apple ink, it brought up a dialog box saying I had to first "enroll" in iCloud. So I started that process -- gave them my name, an ID, a password, my credit card number, set up security questions/answers, etc.

Apparently that successfully got me INTO iCloud, but then it said I had to open iPhoto to see the photos, and there were all sorts of options about being able to access my computer remotely from other computers and such. But I don't want to give away all my personal info, and access to control my computer, just to look at some vacation pics someone posted. It just isn't worth it to me. And so, to make a long story short, I GAVE UP.

BUT, having enrolled in iCloud, there seems to be no directions or instructions or pathway that would let me GET RID OF IT.

So that's my question: How do I un-enroll, so iCloud's tentacles are no longer reaching into my computer?

Aug 29, 2015 7:33 AM in response to tedfromsantacruz

Well, from what you are describing, it sounds like you set up a new iCloud account. You can do a few things to make sure it is not "Active" on your computer, and that it doesn't have financial info as follows:

1. Go to System Preferences and make sure that when you click on iCloud, that there is no ID signed in. If you see your "regular" Apple ID signed in, then you might want to make sure you are not already using iCloud to sync Contacts, Calendars, etc. If you see the "new" iCloud ID signed in, then can sign it out.

2. Open iTunes on your Mac and sign into iTunes with your new iCloud email address and password. Click on your Name in the upper right-hand corner, the on Account Info>Payment Information. You should see a "None" option on the Payment info screen. Select that to remove your Credit Card info.

Just so you know, if you are running Yosemite on your Mac, then you can simply set up iCloud on your existing Apple ID, and then open the Photos app to view a Shared Photo Stream. If you decide you want to do that, simply click on System Preferences>iCloud and sign in with your existing Apple ID. Click on the Options button next to Photos, turn on iCloud Photo Sharing, and you will then be able to open your Photos app and see any shared photo streams. You can also turn on any other iCloud sync services that you might want for syncing info between your Mac and any Apple iDevices (iPhone, iPad, etc.) that you might have.

Cheers,

GB

Aug 29, 2015 9:06 AM in response to gail from maine

THANK YOU! That was immensely helpful -- AND did wonders to neutralize my paranoia about the whole business. You & your cat have just collected whole stack of good karma points (or is that just a California phenomenon?). BTW, for a decade or so I used to spend a few weeks each summer in Rockport, Maine, leading photography workshops -- it was a wonderful place to explore, especially along the coast and amongst the nearby islands.

Aug 29, 2015 9:20 AM in response to tedfromsantacruz

You are most welcome, and we both appreciate any good karma we can get. I'm a native Californian, so I can totally relate! Grew up in SoCal and spent about half my life there. And as much as I LOVE our coastline here, as far as I'm concerned, there is nothing to compare to a drive up the coast from San Diego to Mendocino! Talk about some beautiful coastline 🙂

My husband and I just visited Rockport and the lighthouse for the first time last year. Got some incredible pics there, so I know what you mean!

Cheers,

GB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.