Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The Mail app crashes when opening on my iPad

When I open the Mail app it comes up but no accounts or messages show. After a few seconds it crashes and I'm taken back to the home screen.

I can open my Exchange email in Outlook at work and in a browser. I can open my Gmail in a browser.

I have an iPad 2 with iOS 8.4.1.

I've tried turning off the iPad and restarting it. I've closed all apps. I've deleted my main Exchange account and it still didn't work.. (It didn't try deleting the other Exchange account or my Gmail accounts.) I've searched in the Community and via google and can't find a solution.

Does anyone know what's happening and what to do about it?

iPad 2, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 9:55 PM

1 reply

Aug 30, 2015 8:32 AM in response to bbarker

Hi bbarker!

It sounds like your Mail app is only opening for a brief period, then closes on you. I would start by quitting the Mail app and the Settings apps first:

Force an app to close in iOS

1. Press the Home button two times quickly. You'll see small previews of your recently used apps.
2. Swipe left to find the app you want to close.
3. Swipe up on the app's preview to close it.

When you have done that restart the device and test the issue again:

iOS: Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting

If the issue persists then I would remove the Mail account(s) you have setup in the app, restart and add them again to test the issue:

Get help with Mail on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Remove the affected email account from your device with these steps:

1. Tap Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
  2. Tap the email account.
  3. Tap Delete Account.
  4. Add your account again.

If the issue persists, backup your device to iTunes, then restore it as new and verify that it works.

How to erase your iOS device and then set it up as a new device or restore it from backups

If it does, then restore your backup to either verify it still works and the software just needed reinstalled, or isolate the issue to the backup file itself.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

The Mail app crashes when opening on my iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.