Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacBook Pro won't force shutdown

I tried to switch WiFi networks on my MacBook Pro (mid 2012) and the screen froze. I tried to do a force quit of a non responding program and the beachball showed up. Still unresponsive, I closed the screen hoping that it would get better, but it didn't. I reopened the screen to see nothing but black with the beachball in the middle of it. The backlight and cursor are still responsive, but nothing else is.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 9:52 PM

1 reply

Aug 28, 2015 10:00 PM in response to wilzigla

Press and hold down the Power button until the computer shuts down. Wait one minute. Then:

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears.

Repair

When the recovery menu appears select Disk Utility and press the Continue button. After Disk Utility loads select the indented Macintosh HD entry from the the left side list. Click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If Disk Utility reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit Disk Utility and return to the main menu. Select Restart from the Apple menu.

My MacBook Pro won't force shutdown

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.