Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my iPad automatically start Apple TV when I try to view a video?

From iPad Air I stream a video to Apple TV to view on HDTV; everything works okay. Later, I turn off streaming from iPad and turn off Apple TV. The problem occurs the next time I try to view a video on my iPad with AirPlay turned off (viewing source is iPad); the Apple TV will automatically turn on and the iPad will try to stream the video to it. I can't get my iPad to stop trying to stream to apple TV. Usually it takes disconnecting from wifi, shutting off iPad, restarting and reconnecting to wifi to correct it. uUing latest iOS and Apple TV software. Any help is much appreciated.

iPad Air, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 8:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 9:05 PM

That should only happen when Airplay and/or mirroring is enabled, are you verifying via control centre prior to streaming?

3 replies

Aug 28, 2015 9:35 PM in response to vazandrew

Thank you for the suggestion, I wish it were that simple. I do verify iPad is selected in control center prior to starting the video. However, when the video is started it switches to Apple TV and when I try to switch back to iPad in control center iPad is ghosted (won't let me choose it). It's terribly frustrating. I demonstrated the issue to an Apple savvy friend this evening who told me this is not normal and suggested I take it in to the Apple Store...I'm going tomorrow.

Why does my iPad automatically start Apple TV when I try to view a video?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.