Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I upload files to icloud by drag and drop not one at a time

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 10:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 1:45 AM

Make iCloud Drive visible as a device in the Finder Sidebar. Then you can drag and drop to it.

You can enable it to show in the Sidebar in the Finder Preferences > Sidebar:

User uploaded file

5 replies

Aug 29, 2015 2:59 AM in response to kingfin

There is unfortunately no other way. If you enable iCloud Drive to be able to drag and drop, all files will be mirrored in a hidden folder in your user library and you will use the same amount of storage locally as you are using in iCloud.

The only way to avoid the local storage on your system drive would be to move your home folder to an external drive, but then you would need to always have an external drive connected when you are using your mac.

You could however upload complete folders to iCloud at once by compressing them. Upload he zip files, but then you would have to uncompress the folders each time you want to use the files inside. And upload and download the complete folder just to access one file inside - a waste of bandwidth.

Aug 30, 2015 4:35 PM in response to kingfin

kingfin wrote:

Thanks again, so in essence, iCloud doesn't serve the storage purpose that I require.

Yes, iCloud Drive is not meant to be an external storage to save storage on your Mac, see the FAQ: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201104

iCloud Drive FAQ

With iCloud Drive, you can safely store all your presentations, spreadsheets, PDFs, images, and any other kind of document in iCloud. Documents you store in iCloud Drive will be kept up to date across all of your devices, and you can access them from your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, or PC.

Here's what you can do with iCloud Drive:

• Store and access all of your documents in one place from any of your devices
  • Keep files and folders up to date across all your devices
  • Create new files and folders from iCloud-enabled apps
  • Work on the same file across multiple apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.