Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipad 4 tracking

I bought an ipad4 from a friend and have hard reset it, deleted any old accounts and set it up with my own, but my friend can still use his account to track where i am. He calls me to tell me exactly where ive been. Can i stop this? Surely this is dangerous. What if it wasn't a friend i bought it off, what if it was someone a little less honest? This person would be able to stalk me, or even burgle my home when i'm out. There must be a way to turn this off?

iPad Air, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 12:43 AM

1 reply

Aug 30, 2015 8:46 AM in response to emmetbrown1985

Hi emmetbrown1985,

It sounds as though your friend, when he sold this iPad to you, did not turn off "Find My iPhone" for the device. It is indeed good that he is a friend as you will need his help to correct this issue.

This article contains the steps your friend will need to take - What to do before selling or giving away your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. Start with the section titled If you no longer have your iOS device.

Specifically -

1. Ask the new owner to erase all content and settings as described above.
  2. If you're using iCloud and Find My iPhone on the device, sign in to icloud.com/find, select the device, and click Erase. After the device has been erased, click Remove from Account.
  3. If you're unable to follow either of the above steps, change your Apple ID password. This won't remove personal information that's stored on your old device, but it will prevent the new owner from deleting your information from iCloud.
  4. If you're switching to a non-Apple phone, deregister iMessage.
  5. If you're using Apple Pay, you can remove your credit or debit cards at iCloud.com: Choose Settings to see which devices are using Apple Pay, then click the device. Next to Apple Pay, click Remove.

Setp 2 is particularly important for your situation, but the rest may be relevant as well.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Sincerely.

ipad 4 tracking

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.