Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Songs Are Now Rating with Black and Grey Stars

I'm now seeing a massive number of songs being rated with greyed out stars on their ratings; about 50%. Also, I have half of my songs in my Music Library with Black Star Rating's. When I click on the greyed stars at the same level of stars, the stars turn to black. I didn't ask to have all of my songs rating's turned to grey. It really gets on my nerve that Apple would do such a thing. I've read previous posts about why this might be happening, like you rate an Album, but I never rate Albums. I always just rate my songs and have a massive 68,000 songs in my iTunes account. Also, I store my songs on a separate external hard drive and have my iTunes Preferences setup to copy and organize all of my iTunes items on this external hard drive, so I don't know what the problem is here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mac mini, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 1:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 6:08 AM

Hi Scott,

You're not alone in feeling frustrated by this. There's a current thread on the subject here:

Default Song/Album Ratings

We believe that iTunes is assigning an album rating after you've rated a certain number of songs in that album, apparently based on an average of the ratings you've assigned. Then it applies that rating (in gray) to unrated songs in the album.

There doesn't seem to be any way to prevent this -- it seems to be an intentional feature of the app, and Limnos has said it's been going on since (at least) version 7.5. But it's evidently gotten more aggressive in the latest versions and it's causing many headaches for people who rely heavily on ratings, for example in smart playlists.

If you like, you could provide Apple feedback on this issue here: http://www.apple.com/feedback/

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 29, 2015 6:08 AM in response to ScottSorgent

Hi Scott,

You're not alone in feeling frustrated by this. There's a current thread on the subject here:

Default Song/Album Ratings

We believe that iTunes is assigning an album rating after you've rated a certain number of songs in that album, apparently based on an average of the ratings you've assigned. Then it applies that rating (in gray) to unrated songs in the album.

There doesn't seem to be any way to prevent this -- it seems to be an intentional feature of the app, and Limnos has said it's been going on since (at least) version 7.5. But it's evidently gotten more aggressive in the latest versions and it's causing many headaches for people who rely heavily on ratings, for example in smart playlists.

If you like, you could provide Apple feedback on this issue here: http://www.apple.com/feedback/

My Songs Are Now Rating with Black and Grey Stars

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.