Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule Remote Access (via Internet)

Hi guys,

first of all, sorry for my bad english 😝

I read a lot of threads about how to remotely access a Time Capsule (its hard drive I mean), but I can't still figure out to make it working

I followed the nice guide made by Tesserax AirPort Disk - Remote Access (3 Methods) and I chose the 2nd method, since I have registered an account on no-ip , so they provided me a private host (for free of course)

This is my actual set up situation (the screenshots are in italian language as im italian 😝 but I guess it's pretty easy to understand those fields)

Home Network Configuration: Modem/Router (very old) used only as Modem + TimeCapsule linked to it by WAN (the TC is the router: it manages DHCP and NAT)

Internet Settings:

User uploaded file

Dynamic Global Host Name

User uploaded file

Network:

User uploaded file

Disks:

User uploaded file

What I managed

1) Right Click on Finder icon - using my home internet connection (I mean, the Mac is cabled to the TC via ethernet) - Connect to Server

It asked me to provide the server address --> I put fisso.ddns.net --> Enter --> I got into the TC HDD

N.B. Typing directly fisso.ddns.net the address changes automatically to afp://fisso.ddns.net and i guess that's normal because afp is the Apple protocoll

2) Same thing described at point 1, but typing smb://fisso.ddns.net . It took a little bit longer but worked fine (smb is Samba, Windows protocoll, am I wrong?)

What I almost managed

I tried the ''final'' test that is the main thing I'd like to do (remote access via 3g smartphone or similar)

I turned off ethernet connection plugging off the cable from my Mac

I started an HotSpot from my Galaxy S5 and I connected my Mac to this HotSpot (by this way, I simulated a real external connection, like I was away from home and I tried to access the HDD from my phone

That's what I got:

1) If I type fisso.ddns.net on Connect to Server field (so it changes automatically to afp://fisso.ddns.net) it works fine

2) If I type smb://fisso.ddns.net on Connect to Server field it attemps to connect but fails (timeout or something like that)

Of course, I also tried using Android Apps like Astro File Manager, ES File Explorer, andSMB etc ... but they didnt work.

Actually, about those apps, I have a doubt: when they ask me User and Pass I dont know if I have to type User+Pass of my no-ip account or User+Pass used to access to TC's HDD (the ones it asked me after I connected via Finder). Anyway, I tried all the possible combinations of these infos, without any luck

I also installed the no-ip Daemon so it can keep hostname and my dynamic ip up to date (running in background)

The only app that gave me a ''small'' feedback has been Astro: when I tried to connect, It let me see the HD Airport (icon) on the screen, like It was connected to it, but after few sec It gave me back this error: BlueError: BAD_NETPATH

Again sorry for my trashy english, and thanks everyone for the they you (i hope) will spend reading my post 🙂

Time Capsule-OTHER, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 6:29 AM

1 reply

Time Capsule Remote Access (via Internet)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.