Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exporting Sequence of Old School Footage

I have something I shot on a small standard personal PAL camera 8 years ago and I edited it into a 40 minute sequence. When I export as is, I get a 13 GB file which is way too massive. I am wondering if there is a way to export it so it still looks good but is smaller? Settings are:

Frame: 720x576

Aspect Ratio: CCIR601/ DVPAL 5:4

Pixel Aspect Ratio: PAL-CCIR 601 (720x576)

Field Dominance: Lower (Even)

Editing Timebase: 25

Compressor: DVPAL

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 3:46 AM

2 replies

Sep 1, 2015 5:55 AM in response to MollyDB

Meg The Dog is correct; how the file will be delivered or displayed ultimately determines how it should be exported. For example, Meg's advice for H.264 would be the typical export setting used in Compressor for files that are delivered for web viewing, or just plain old file based viewing (delivered on thumb drive, HDD or other means). But if the final delivery is DVD, then you'd export from FCP as a self-contained movie, and use one of the DVD setting in Compressor. The DVD settings will produce two files; an MPEG-2 (.m2v) video file and and AC3 audio file. Those two then go to DVD Studio Pro for disc authoring.

There are dozens of other settings based on different delivery methods, so you need to determine that before proceeding.

-DH

Exporting Sequence of Old School Footage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.